Rhodactis mushroom came off plug

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a colony of 3 red rhodactis nushrooms and I moved them a few weeks ago and they do not like the flow, the smallest one detached off the small peice of rock it was on. I have returned them back to their previous spot and they seem happier, however the 1 mushroom that detached keeps floating off the frag plug I am trying to get it to re-attach to. I heard it takes 1-2 weeks for them to re-attach, and my clean up crew and flow keeps knocking it off every day. Is there anything I can do to re-attach it?

Cheers

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a colony of 3 red rhodactis nushrooms and I moved them a few weeks ago and they do not like the flow, the smallest one detached off the small peice of rock it was on. I have returned them back to their previous spot and they seem happier, however the 1 mushroom that detached keeps floating off the frag plug I am trying to get it to re-attach to. I heard it takes 1-2 weeks for them to re-attach, and my clean up crew and flow keeps knocking it off every day. Is there anything I can do to re-attach it?

Cheers
Mushroom corals will detach when they're in a spot they are not comfortable in, place him in a different spot and see If he attaches, you can also let him float around until he finds a suitable spot, you can also put him in a small basket In your tank with some rubble he can attach to, then glue the rock he's on to somewhere you like and see if he stays

Edit: to be clear, do not put glue on the mushroom, you shouldn't keep trying to put him on the plug, if he detached it means he wasn't happy in that spot

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above reply is right on the money. I made a temporary little cage of sorts out of a 2oz plastic condiment cup, a scrap of window screen and a bit of rubble rock at the bottom when I had to let a soft coral attach without the use of glue.

I set it on the sand bed in a quiet corner and just let it be for a few weeks.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom corals will detach when they're in a spot they are not comfortable in, place him in a different spot and see If he attaches, you can also let him float around until he finds a suitable spot, you can also put him in a small basket In your tank with some rubble he can attach to, then glue the rock he's on to somewhere you like and see if he stays

Edit: to be clear, do not put glue on the mushroom, you shouldn't keep trying to put him on the plug, if he detached it means he wasn't happy in that spot
Interesting, not sure if it is purely the flow or cleanup crew knocking it off or it just isn't happy
Since I am trying to make a garden out of them, what should I do if it attaches to the main rock or stings other corals?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above reply is right on the money. I made a temporary little cage of sorts out of a 2oz plastic condiment cup, a scrap of window screen and a bit of rubble rock at the bottom when I had to let a soft coral attach without the use of glue.

I set it on the sand bed in a quiet corner and just let it be for a few weeks.
Sounds like a good idea, I will have a look at this, thanks

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, not sure if it is purely the flow or cleanup crew knocking it off or it just isn't happy
Since I am trying to make a garden out of them, what should I do if it attaches to the main rock or stings other corals?
Mushrooms don't sting other corals, though you still wouldnt want them touching anything, and you'll just have a garden there :)

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms don't sting other corals, though you still wouldnt want them touching anything, and you'll just have a garden there :)
Hey, I have an old breeder box back from freshwater tanks, could I wash them down in tap water, then dry, then add to the tank? Since it would likely positioned near the top of the tank, would the high lighting hurt the mushroom?

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers
Sometimes you can have luck gluing soft corals but often it will not hold. You can try to put it in a basket with rubble and it should attach. You may need to look for a different spot or adjust the flow of the tank as well. They really only detach when the conditions are undesirable for them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back