‘Tank Raised’ Purple Tangs Coming Soon From Sri Lanka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamarines in Sri Lanka was the procurer of the wildly scribbled Koran angelfish, and they will soon be the source of tank raised purple tangs. Before you go getting all excited about another surgeonfish captive breeding breakthrough, realize that although these fish have been in captivity for most of their lives, know that they were […]

Continue reading...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Nick.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't see how this is good for the species at all. It's good for the seller and aquarium trade, with maybe a slight benefit to the species due to less competition, but not much.

ja4207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are implying that the aquarium industry's appetite for the species is X. X being better met with these extremely young juvi fishes rather than the collection of older ones.

Which does make sense. The older fish have already surpassed the most treacherous portion of their lives in which up until now collection began here. Aquarmarines stated practice is to collect at a very young age and rear them into shipping which has a dual purpose of creating a stronger more resilient fish which could begin to decrease the industry's appetite for them... less fish death, less demand.

Current way
100 born
60-70% fish loss due to environmental conditions
30-40 remain
10 collected for industry

New way
100 born
* 10 collected for the industry
90 remain
60-70% loss after environmental conditions

*collection demand could decrease due to an increased aquarium survival

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are implying that the aquarium industry's appetite for the species is X. X being better met with these extremely young juvi fishes rather than the collection of older ones.

Which does make sense. The older fish have already surpassed the most treacherous portion of their lives in which up until now collection began here. Aquarmarines stated practice is to collect at a very young age and rear them into shipping which has a dual purpose of creating a stronger more resilient fish which could begin to decrease the industry's appetite for them... less fish death, less demand.

Current way
100 born
60-70% fish loss due to environmental conditions
30-40 remain
10 collected for industry

New way
100 born
* 10 collected for the industry
90 remain
60-70% loss after environmental conditions

*collection demand could decrease due to an increased aquarium survival
1. The study is done by the company that has vested interest. The study, therefore, may be lacking objectivity.
2. They said 30-40 are found later. Doesn't specifically say they are killed.
Regardless, hope it benefits the nature more than the company's pockets.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank raised is in the right direction to becoming captively bred, plus it leaves adults in the wild to continue reproducing.

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank raised is in the right direction to becoming captively bred, plus it leaves adults in the wild to continue reproducing.
I agree if they are being sold in larger numbers to major hatcheries and research labs. But this seems to be purely commercial. Blue Zoo Aquatics has been selling "tank raised" blue and yellow tangs for a long time that were taken from the wild as small juveniles. Just like purple tangs in the article, they are better conditioned for captive life. But at least they aren't pretending to be Good Samaritans about it and not citing self made studies to support their claims.
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist.asp?did=1&cid=361

ja4207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The study is done by the company that has vested interest. The study, therefore, may be lacking objectivity.
2. They said 30-40 are found later. Doesn't specifically say they are killed.
Regardless, hope it benefits the nature more than the company's pockets.

Agreed. I was just expounding in their article. I have no basis, for or against.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back