“Hybrid” Barebottom - Please Critique

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon All,

I am looking for some constructive criticism. I am going with a “hybrid” barebottom in my XXL 750. What does “hybrid” mean? I’m not entirely sure, but I’m my mind’s eye it’s an aquascape that has large Tonga plates acting as the barebottom.

This will be an SPS tank, so flow and lighting will be maxed out. It ain’t cheap, but it is what it is!

I like the minimalist look and I am trying to emulate that. I also like trenches, caves, and fingers that bleed off of the main stucture. I tried to emulate all.

I wouldn’t mind growing zoas or cyphastrea in the glass trench or fields of it on the desert plate...

Anyway, I’m not a paid artist (just an engineer), but I’ve drawn my whole life. I know the rule of thirds and non-symmetry, but I’m a novice at the acedemic side of artistic theory... so ANY help is appreciated.

Let me know if you need any other shots.

Here we go!

upload_2019-2-24_15-47-21.jpeg

upload_2019-2-24_15-47-58.jpeg

upload_2019-2-24_15-49-28.jpeg

upload_2019-2-24_15-51-25.jpeg

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only critique would be it might be hard to grow on glass bottom as it's a smooth surface. I tried growing acro on back glass and it falls off if bumped. Other than that I think it looks good.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have problems with debris getting stuck under the plates but I think it looks super cool and unique.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool concept, I would make a little taller by adding another plate on top of them that is smaller so it gives it like a 3d ish hill.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only critique would be it might be hard to grow on glass bottom as it's a smooth surface. I tried growing acro on back glass and it falls off if bumped. Other than that I think it looks good.

I agree. I may just have to settle for coralline on the glass and go with “fields” on the desert plains rock.

I think you might have problems with debris getting stuck under the plates but I think it looks super cool and unique.

Thanks for the response! You bring up a good point. I plan on having MASSIVE flow, so I am hoping that keeps everything suspended in the water column.

Cool idea

Haha. Thanks Pookie; short and sweet.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool concept, I would make a little taller by adding another plate on top of them that is smaller so it gives it like a 3d ish hill.

You bring up an excellent point (it must be the last name... mine is Murray too). I had actually been thinking about that too. Let me see what I can do...

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build them up to have like 2 small cliff/hill with a ravine in the middle and zoas in the ravine.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might seriously do that! The ravine or valley between the two plates shows depth, but building up the ravine on both sides might provide even more depth.

Anyway, here are my “scraps”. I threw a beer bottle into the photo to convey size.

upload_2019-2-24_17-5-30.jpeg

That Tonga plate is awesome, but not as good as the two I am using. That’s a bummer because it is huge.

I am, however, thinking about what you mentioned and might hack off the top of that Tonga plate (notice it has a little plate on top of it) and plant it on top of the other. I need to think that one through a bit.

Last edited:

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you could do is put a few of the smaller pieces under a plate and put the plate ontop of them to make something different. I got the idea from freshwater aquascapes and how they use shelf rocks for some pretty cool designs.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you could do is put a few of the smaller pieces under a plate and put the plate ontop of them to make something different. I got the idea from freshwater aquascapes and how they use shelf rocks for some pretty cool designs.

I’ve actually done this in my past... here is my RSM 130 in all its glory back in the day:

upload_2019-2-24_17-24-34.jpeg

If you look on the left, I have two Tonga plates elevated by a “base”; one in front and one in the back. It was pretty cool, but it was very difficult to make it “look” real.

ETA: A better picture of the concept I think you were talking about...

upload_2019-2-24_17-54-33.jpeg

Last edited:

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using something like starboard on the bottom as a buffer. It's textured so it will allow coral to stick and grow on it. I just did that on my new build.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using something like starboard on the bottom as a buffer. It's textured so it will allow coral to stick and grow on it. I just did that on my new build.

Thanks for the response Fireman!

This is my third barebottom and I haven’t tried starboard. I’ve thought about, but I really like the bare glass with coralline on it.

Do you have any pics?

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ground my rocks on the concrete too to smooth them out. I thought of the starboard so you could grow zoes on the bottom. That's why I used starboard. I think your set up looks good and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ground my rocks on the concrete too to smooth them out. I thought of the starboard so you could grow zoes on the bottom. That's why I used starboard. I think your set up looks good and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Yeah, I saw (as I was editing my post) that you were successfully using starboard to grow corals.

I’ve seen people able to grow corals on bare glass... I just can’t seem to be able to do it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might seriously do that! The ravine or valley between the two plates shows depth, but building up the ravine on both sides might provide even more depth.

Anyway, here are my “scraps”. I threw a beer bottle into the photo to convey size.

upload_2019-2-24_17-5-30.jpeg

That Tonga plate is awesome, but not as good as the two I am using. That’s a bummer because it is huge.

I am, however, thinking about what you mentioned and might hack off the top of that Tonga plate (notice it has a little plate on top of it) and plant it on top of the other. I need to think that one through a bit.

well you know if you hate that piece of shelf I just might know someone with a 750 that could use it...haha
excited to see how this comes out. if I was doing SPS I would go BB too! but I ma more of an LPS guy here so I like sand.

I think it's a great idea! if you want corals in between the 2 shelf a small pice of starboard of the like would work that way you dont have to buy a big sheet. just an idea.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool. You must be a very patient person if you're willing for the SPS to fill the tank practically from the bottom! Seems like patience is usually rewarded in this hobby though :)

I'm tempted to suggest some sort of severe peek or outcropping on the right hand side, but nothing is going to look as good as 18" of coral. Have you considered filling in around the base rock with straight up freshwater tank gravel? Seems like that would take the flow without moving and would be simple enough to siphon out, rinse, and re-use once every couple years. A rainbow of colors to choose from too, or could go black to really help those corals pop!

Anyhow, love the concept. You're very artistic.... for an engineer :p
(seriously, beautifully rendered)

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. I’d probably raise the bottom plates off the glass just a half in or so to keep the detritus from getting trapped there. You could probably make a bunch of 1/2” spacers out of PVC to support it since they won’t be able to be seen.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back