OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool. You must be a very patient person if you're willing for the SPS to fill the tank practically from the bottom! Seems like patience is usually rewarded in this hobby though :)

I'm tempted to suggest some sort of severe peek or outcropping on the right hand side, but nothing is going to look as good as 18" of coral. Have you considered filling in around the base rock with straight up freshwater tank gravel? Seems like that would take the flow without moving and would be simple enough to siphon out, rinse, and re-use once every couple years. A rainbow of colors to choose from too, or could go black to really help those corals pop!

Anyhow, love the concept. You're very artistic.... for an engineer :p
(seriously, beautifully rendered)

William,

Your ideas are unique and I like that!!! I never even considered freshwater gravel and now that you mentioned it, my mind is spinning with ideas! I’m not sure how to do it, but you have me thinking!

I like it. I’d probably raise the bottom plates off the glass just a half in or so to keep the detritus from getting trapped there. You could probably make a bunch of 1/2” spacers out of PVC to support it since they won’t be able to be seen.

Jsvand5,

Thanks for offering insight and you are the second to mention it... so that’s telling me I better seriously take a look into making it happen!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. I’d probably raise the bottom plates off the glass just a half in or so to keep the detritus from getting trapped there. You could probably make a bunch of 1/2” spacers out of PVC to support it since they won’t be able to be seen.

pls that will give small fish and CUC a place to call home.
if you dont want to do that you maybe could silicone around the base??

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JS beat me too it. I used PCV rings to lift the base rock off the sand. works great.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id lose the piece u have in the middle connecting the two rock works or structures. Use it as an overhang or more overhangs. Hope that helps. I like the idea of having multiple islands rather than 1 big rockwork. You could even use that piece as a single stand alone piece by itself. Place it away from the other structure or structures. Creates depth when u have diff sizes in diff areas.... foreground background ect...
BB all the way baby!
-d

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about detritus getting caught up under ur bottom rock pieces. Just take a powerhead off the glass and blow it under the rocks every now and again. Sure u know that being a sps person!
-d

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a bare bottom (in regards to sand) you could have some smaller pumps, like MP10s mounted super low just to keep detritus from settling down there. Even better, if they worked in tandem with kind of a wave maker function you could avoid dead spots with some fine tuning.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that! Now that is what looks like a natural bottom to me for SPS as most are found on rock bottoms, not sand. I would prolly do the pvc ring just to get like 1/4" off the bottom and have a powerhead that circulates under there but overall that is awesome. Wish I had that for bottom material.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Thanks for all the responses. The input to boost the plates up 1/4” with some PVC rings has been overwhelming. I will do that. Thanks for all the help!

id lose the piece u have in the middle connecting the two rock works or structures. Use it as an overhang or more overhangs. Hope that helps. I like the idea of having multiple islands rather than 1 big rockwork. You could even use that piece as a single stand alone piece by itself. Place it away from the other structure or structures. Creates depth when u have diff sizes in diff areas.... foreground background ect...
BB all the way baby!
-d

@monkeyCmonkeyDo ,

I have taken your advice and removed the bridge and converted it to an overhang. You have a great eye. I think it looks better!

upload_2019-3-16_21-1-19.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-1-58.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-2-30.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-2-58.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-3-35.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-4-11.jpeg

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Thanks for all the responses. The input to boost the plates up 1/4” with some PVC rings has been overwhelming. I will do that. Thanks for all the help!

@monkeyCmonkeyDo ,

I have taken you advice and removed the bridge and converted it to an overhang. You have a great eye. I think it looks better!

upload_2019-3-16_21-1-19.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-1-58.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-2-30.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-2-58.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-3-35.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_21-4-11.jpeg

I'd call that done! Looks Fantastic!! I'll be following along to see all that get wet:)

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you reload and have break free
:D

Very nice setup

Thanks! That would be the “other” hobby that drains me of money and time!;)

I'd call that done! Looks Fantastic!! I'll be following along to see all that get wet:)

Yup... I think it is close. I’ll check the feedback, but I am going to start cementing today.

In the meantime, I’ll drag these photos to my build thread.

I have to travel for work this week, so it’ll get wet next week. :cool:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back