“The Thing”

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doowayne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Doowayne

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2019
Messages
103
Reaction score
129
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone familiar with The Thing offered by Top Shelf Aquatics? I got one a bit ago as a mystery sps coral. It’s been growing but only out/across and up. I’m curious, will it eventually encrust a bit, or should I remove it from the frag plug and glue it sideways?
 
If you're referencing "CB The Thing" It's an anacropora. Most will encrust some however I've never seen one that does to the extent of acropora. I'd call what most in the hobby do closer to "anchoring" than anything. Cutting it and gluing it sideways would possibly give you a bit more anchoring but if you're hoping for it to cover a plug I don't think it would be worth the time or trouble.
 
The thing wont really encrust like mentioned above, I would take it off the plug and just putty or glue it in its "forever place" keep in mind It can grow quite fast when its happy.
 
The thing wont really encrust like mentioned above, I would take it off the plug and just putty or glue it in its "forever place" keep in mind It can grow quite fast when its happy.
Yeah, it’s been growing pretty fast, why I was wondering. If I glue it down/putty on its side, would the tissue loss be a problem or would I be better off just hiding the plug with some rubble?
 
Yeah, it’s been growing pretty fast, why I was wondering. If I glue it down/putty on its side, would the tissue loss be a problem or would I be better off just hiding the plug with some rubble?
Gluing it on its side won't be a problem, its a very resilient coral. Either way will work fine.
 
I applied glue to my plug, with the stem cut off, and placed it in a concave spot on my rock work. "The Thing" grows in such a crazy way that it doesn't really matter how it is placed or glued. It will grow in swirls and whirls and knots and all kinds of weird patterns. haha. As mentioned above, once it is placed and stable, it grows really fast. I have fragged mine quite a few times in the past month. Seriously one of the most resilient corals I have ever kept.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new