0-10V system wiring

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a Hydros Varios S2 and a Icecap Gyre 2k. Both have controllers with 0-10V (input?) on them (looks like mini plug?). I'd like to rig a control to stop both pumps for feeding. Preferably from the output of the Varios (because it has a built in pause timer). After the pause is over, the Varios should go back to its regular flow, as well as the Hydras (but its programmed for random motion).

If there was an easy way to pull the DC voltage off the Varios output to the Hydros 0-10V input, then when I hit the pause button on the varios it should stop the icecap. But when the Varios is running in would run my Icecap 010V input at 24V so that's probably a no go. Ideally I need to give the icecap controller 0V / earth for it to turn off (correct?) and an open circuit so it would return to internally programmed logic control?

Any ideas or help would be truly appreciated!

tinkwithanr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had an Apex, I just made a simple circuit with a 12v power supply and two adjustable potentiometers wired in so I could adjust the white and blue channels on my lighting. Not the most advanced system but it got the job done.

Something similar could be done with an arduino if you wanted it to be timer based to return to normal operation.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Hydros Varios S2 and a Icecap Gyre 2k. Both have controllers with 0-10V (input?) on them (looks like mini plug?). I'd like to rig a control to stop both pumps for feeding. Preferably from the output of the Varios (because it has a built in pause timer). After the pause is over, the Varios should go back to its regular flow, as well as the Hydras (but its programmed for random motion).

If there was an easy way to pull the DC voltage off the Varios output to the Hydros 0-10V input, then when I hit the pause button on the varios it should stop the icecap. But when the Varios is running in would run my Icecap 010V input at 24V so that's probably a no go. Ideally I need to give the icecap controller 0V / earth for it to turn off (correct?) and an open circuit so it would return to internally programmed logic control?

Any ideas or help would be truly appreciated!

Hey CaymenR! I thought you were going to message me so I could send you a custom solution for that Icecap WiFi controller. Or at least that’s what @Jeff@CoralVue suggested before in that other thread.

Basically it would be a momentary button connected to a 9v battery in a small housing, wired to a stereo male 3.5mm jack that would plug into the controller. When the controller read that voltage, it would start the feed mode with that customized firmware. The 9v battery should last years in that application, and would be replaceable of course. Simple solution.

OP
OP
CaymanR

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh hey - yes - I was very much hoping to connect. Thanks for reaching out! Ok, I like this. So since it is a momentary button, it is idiot proof for me leaving the pumps off as apposed to a toggle switch. I was not aware the hydros controller firmware was programmed to enter feed mode when it sees a quick pulse of 9V on the 0-10V port! Do you have any idea if my Reef Octopus Varios S2 also has similar firmware? It would be great to tell both to go into feed mode with one button press.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hey - yes - I was very much hoping to connect. Thanks for reaching out! Ok, I like this. So since it is a momentary button, it is idiot proof for me leaving the pumps off as apposed to a toggle switch. I was not aware the hydros controller firmware was programmed to enter feed mode when it sees a quick pulse of 9V on the 0-10V port! Do you have any idea if my Reef Octopus Varios S2 also has similar firmware? It would be great to tell both to go into feed mode with one button press.

Did you happen to not see Jeff's response to your post? <<Link to his post.

Ill PM Jeff asking for one of the cables so I can get something sent to you. Yeah, it would be dummy proof momentary button- you choose how long the feed mode is.

edit: Yes, supplies I need is on the way! Hopefully can be done within a week or so, given Corona delays!

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I contacted Reef Octopus and sent them a link to this thread to weigh in.

Did you happen to not see Jeff's response to your post? <<Link to his post.

That would be part of a custom firmware update that they are making more or less due to your specific request. :)

Ill PM Jeff asking for one of the cables so I can get something sent to you. Yeah, it would be dummy proof momentary button- you choose how long the feed mode is.

edit: Yes, supplies I need is on the way! Hopefully can be done within a week or so, given Corona delays!

An order for a pump, controller, and 0-10V cable has been sent to the warehouse. They're already closed for the day back at headquarters, but it will ship on Monday!

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow guys! When Jeff said “build” I thought you meant Harold was going to help me plan it, not send me something! This is fantastic. :)

Happy to help! Although I'm not sure @TheHarold is going to send it for free. :) But we're pretty confident he'll be able to devise a solution for you, otherwise we wouldn't have sent him the equipment to help make it happen. You can see some of his work on his website: https://www.harrysaquatics.com/products

OP
OP
CaymanR

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's what @TheHarold built for me to solve my quandary for allowing the wife to feed the fish without bugging me ;) What a great guy, wouldn't even let me try to pay him for this first off prototype. Wonderful little black box with a very high quality tactile metal button. 5ft Miniplug power cord and he even included the 9V battery. :D Yes, I could have installed an old iPhone or something to have the app for the Aquarium, but nothing beats an old analog button when you just want to feed the fish not fumble with technology. Check out Harry's website for inspiration and products - this one I expect will be added soon. Thanks again to @Jeff@CoralVue for hooking me up with TheHarold, and for Hooking up TheHarold with some free hardware - what a great community here! Also including a FTS included showing off my 2k Gyres:cool:
IMG_2822.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back