OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will tell you is by raising nitrates it naturally lowers phosphates. For instance if you were to dose nitrates and test 24 hours later phosphates will go down
Really? I never heard of increased nitrates lowering phosphates. Would feeding the fish more do the trick, or will that just raise both?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3x a day frozen food 2 cubes each time so 6 cubes a day and have 2 auto feeders that go off 1x each and I dose 25 ml of red sea ab+ and dose 15ml of nitrates every day

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I never heard of increased nitrates lowering phosphates. Would feeding the fish more do the trick, or will that just raise both?
Will raise both but possible lower phosphates when the nitrates go up

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a cheap product I can buy that will lower phosphates, or would it be better to just do it naturally by raising feeding and being more consistent with water changes?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I’m no expert but this has something to do with the fact that organisms That use phosphate need nitrate to use the phosphate so if your system is nitrate limited it cannot use the phosphates

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a cheap product I can buy that will lower phosphates, or would it be better to just do it naturally by raising feeding and being more consistent with water changes?
How much do you feed each day ? How often do you do water changes ? I e heard water changes does not remove phosphates like it does nitrate because phosphates is bound up in sand and rocks and just leaches back out

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better housekeeping is most likely the best method. This means feed only what is consumed , make sure skimmer is working efficiently, weekly water changes if 10-20% , possibly vacuuming detrus from sump,

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you feed each day ? How often do you do water changes ? I e heard water changes does not remove phosphates like it does nitrate because phosphates is bound up in sand and rocks and just leaches back out
Once a day for the fish, and three times a week for the corals. As a means of increasing nitrate and phosphate to a healthy amount (I thought there was zero at the time, and with only one fish, there may have been; now I have a clownfish pair as well), I haven't done much water changes the past few months, but before that I was changing around 2 gallons of water every single week for a 30-gallon nano

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better housekeeping is most likely the best method. This means feed only what is consumed , make sure skimmer is working efficiently, weekly water changes if 10-20% , possibly vacuuming detrus from sump,
I actually don't use a skimmer or a sump, mainly to limit my equipment for lack of space, but also for financial reasons, and because I have lots of micro filter feeders in there and I heard they do better without a skimmer. But I can feed less food more often, vacuum my sandbed, and go back to doing weekly water changes

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day for the fish, and three times a week for the corals. As a means of increasing nitrate and phosphate to a healthy amount (I thought there was zero at the time, and with only one fish, there may have been; now I have a clownfish pair as well), I haven't done much water changes the past few months, but before that I was changing around 2 gallons of water every single week for a 30-gallon nano
One of the hardest parts of this hobby is making a routine and sticking to it that’s what you’re gonna have to do

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for dirty glass been about week since clean but In video you can see how much food floats around everywhere and gorgonia catches it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 63608360594__9E44124D-69E5-456C-AF87-94C09773C6DB.MOV
    4.8 MB
OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for dirty glass been about week since clean but In video you can see how much food floats around everywhere and gorgonia catches it
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Lovely bulb anemone and blasto btw!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out one of my favorites TCK insane plate coral red with black stripes and green tenticals

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 33

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back