OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this conversation was helpful, as conversations on this forum usually are.

Obviously I'm gonna keep using gloves from now on, try to limit my hands in the tank, and maybe look into getting some kind of organic hand sanitizer as an additional precaution

And then, I'll figure out a consistent schedule for water changes to get phosphates under better control, but maybe don't go too crazy chasing numbers.

How's this sound to you guys?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add the problem with yor gorgonian I would suspect is totally unrelated. If I was to guess my suspicion is it's not getting the right particualte food or the right flow rate. There's a reason so few aquarists are successfull keeping them for years and having them grow and reproduce.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add the problem with yor gorgonian I would suspect is totally unrelated. If I was to guess my suspicion is it's not getting the right particualte food or the right flow rate. There's a reason so few aquarists are successfull keeping them for years and having them grow and reproduce.
Even for a photosynthetic purple candelabra gorgonian? The plankton I dose is a mix of phyto, zoo, marine snow, and oyster feast, it's three times a week, I have it flowing directly in front of the powerhead. Plus it started decaying like a week after I bought it. It started when I spotted an aiptasia anemone dangerously close to it, so I got a couple peppermint shrimp to take care of the problem, but then it got worse in the coming days, so I moved it to a couple times to give it better flow, because I know that's something gorgonians need.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure nitrates are the problem here. I never heard of 0.5 ppm being dangerously high, and it's only the gorgonian and monti which are having issues. My mushroom, candy cane, and duncan have been doing great in comparison, with the duncan even sprouting more heads.
You are confusing yourself and what you are writing I was talking about nitrates now you’re talking about phosphates

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even for a photosynthetic purple candelabra gorgonian? The plankton I dose is a mix of phyto, zoo, marine snow, and oyster feast, it's three times a week, I have it flowing directly in front of the powerhead. Plus it started decaying like a week after I bought it. It started when I spotted an aiptasia anemone dangerously close to it, so I got a couple peppermint shrimp to take care of the problem, but then it got worse in the coming days, so I moved it to a couple times to give it better flow, because I know that's something gorgonians need.
.5 phosphates is a high number .5 nitrates is a low number

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You first posted your nitrates were at 2 to 5 then you stated it’s at .5 I’m asking you well which one is it if it’s .5 nitrates not phosphates nitrates that is too low especially for a alk of 11

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read you post number 1 at bottom says 2-5 then read your post number 7 nitrates say .5

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are confusing yourself and what you are writing I was talking about nitrates now you’re talking about phosphates
I was talking about phosphates originally, and then I just brought up the other parameters, including nitrates, which I estimated were around 5 ppm, but may be on the lower side.
You first posted your nitrates were at 2 to 5 then you stated it’s at .5 I’m asking you well which one is it if it’s .5 nitrates not phosphates nitrates that is too low especially for a alk of 11
The 2-5 ppm for nitrates was just an estimate, so forget I wrote that. Nitrates=5ppm Phosphates=2ppm

My mistake for confusing things with that

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring phosphates down and nitrates up
Ahhh okay. That makes sense. So how high should I raise the nitrates?

And how do I raise nitrates while also lowering phosphates? Should I increase feedings and get something that specifically brings down phosphates? And how often should I do water changes?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've only seen a couple aquarists keep them successfully for more than a couple years. And I only know of one aquarist who's kept one for more than five years. But in your case if it's died so fast I'd say it had a problem before you ever recieved it. I wouldn't think it was something in your system that casued it's demise.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen a couple aquarists keep them successfully for more than a couple years. And I only know of one aquarist who's kept one for more than five years. But in your case if it's died so fast I'd say it had a problem before you ever recieved it. I wouldn't think it was something in your system that casued it's demise.
Well that makes me both happy and sad.

Happy that I may not have caused it, but sad that one of my hopeful centerpiece corals may actually be a lot tougher to keep alive than I had originally thought.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And how do I raise nitrates while also lowering phosphates? Should I increase feedings and get something that specifically brings down phosphates? And how often should I do water changes?
With alk of 11 need to be 5-15 nitrate somewhere when nitrates are under 1 alk needs to be low like 7-8

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how about the montipora frag? If it is phosphate inhibition, would bringing the phosphate levels down to where they need to be enable the monti frag to recover? Or is it a permanent thing?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that makes me both happy and sad.

Happy that I may not have caused it, but sad that one of my hopeful centerpiece corals may actually be a lot tougher to keep alive than I had originally thought.
Most gorgonia are none photosynthetic corals they rely on being fed. This is where higher nutrients come to play

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how about the montipora frag? If it is phosphate inhibition, would bringing the phosphate levels down to where they need to be enable the monti frag to recover? Or is it a permanent thing?
Of coarse in proper conditions it will recover if healthy enough

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few for over a year now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 31

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One thing I will tell you is by raising nitrates it naturally lowers phosphates. For instance if you were to dose nitrates and test 24 hours later phosphates will go down

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back