• Start dosing phosphates and nitrates

Results are only viewable after voting.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Feeding a bit more, and harvesting chaeto a bit more regularly should help. Otherwise, if your corals are colorful and everything looks healthy - try not to worry ;)

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m new to R2R I have a 60 gallon cube at 1 year old mark and have a 40 gallon breeder as a sump with total water volume of 70 to 75 gallons a Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, 2 gallons of Marine pure spheres and cheto. I have a total of 12 fish for about 7 months now. 1 rose bubble tip anemone and a few corals and I still see no NITRATES and PHOSPHATES. I feed seaweed and half a cube of frozen misys shrimp a day and Reef-Roids 2 times a week. It’s my system to young still? or my filtration system it’s to good doing its job? I haven’t done a water change in about a month now keeping an eye on my Calcium, Alk and magnesium trying to see if I get them but they’re still O phosphates and nitrates. Should I start dosing NITRATES and PHOSPHATES to my system??? Or what should I do regarding this situation. Thank you guys in advance...

If your N and P are lower that you want them, rather than dose them I would pull the cheato instead.
Oh, and Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m new to R2R I have a 60 gallon cube at 1 year old mark and have a 40 gallon breeder as a sump with total water volume of 70 to 75 gallons a Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, 2 gallons of Marine pure spheres and cheto. I have a total of 12 fish for about 7 months now. 1 rose bubble tip anemone and a few corals and I still see no NITRATES and PHOSPHATES. I feed seaweed and half a cube of frozen misys shrimp a day and Reef-Roids 2 times a week. It’s my system to young still? or my filtration system it’s to good doing its job? I haven’t done a water change in about a month now keeping an eye on my Calcium, Alk and magnesium trying to see if I get them but they’re still O phosphates and nitrates. Should I start dosing NITRATES and PHOSPHATES to my system??? Or what should I do regarding this situation. Thank you guys in advance...
Welcome to the reef! Post some photos of your tank or, better yet, post a build thread in the "Member's tanks" section. As for dosing, I am not the person to ask. I've never had a 0 nutrient system. Sorry I can't help. Someone will come along...
Welcome to the reef! Post some photos of your tank or, better yet, post a build thread in the "Member's tanks" section. As for dosing, I am not the person to ask. I've never had a 0 nutrient system. Sorry I can't help. Someone will come along...
I posted some pictures I don’t know if they went through though
Welcome to R2R!!!
If everything is looking good leave it alone.
I had corals die on my watch and I think it’s because of it because everything else it’s in check like a birds nest just die within 2 weeks
How are you testing nitrates and phosphates?
I’m using ULR PHOSPHORUS HANNA CHECKER and RED SEA NITRATE PRO KIT because I was using SALIFERT and they were at O
Some things to consider:

1) You may have phosphates but your chaeto is removing them faster than you can test for them.

2) You can remove chaeto as basically it’s doing what you wanted it to do: clear phosphates. Or you can take out some of the chaeto and see if phosphates trickle back up.

3) Run a heavier bioload of more fish and/or up your feedings.

Good luck! We’d like to see some pics!

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still a work in progress and sorry for the mess I was doing some cleaning

218D0D30-C677-4E13-BDE2-338561193487.jpeg

AE5CA083-BB1A-44AC-AB9E-D79FA7E0F21E.jpeg

815E9181-7EDF-469E-B912-3077C066D5E2.jpeg

48AAF54C-3091-4EA2-AD19-3184BCE2BD72.jpeg

7F567C6D-2FE3-4FD7-9666-3E963E629FEE.jpeg

493F92DB-7EE3-44D0-80D6-4EE70D83882F.jpeg

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using ULR PHOSPHORUS HANNA CHECKER and RED SEA NITRATE PRO KIT because I was using SALIFERT and they were at O

I had a similar issue with my recent tank build that started with dry rock. Increasing feeding didn't really seem to help get phosphates or nitrates into detectable levels, so I ordered Brightwell's NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I dosed the neophos into the ATO and the NeoNitro direct into the tank. A few weeks of that got things up to detectable levels and then I stopped dosing the NeoPhos. I still dose the NeoNitro and added CheatoGrow for my fuge, which seems to help as well.

IMO, the bottled nitrate/phosphates are probably the least expensive thing you will ever buy for your tank and they help to increase nitrates and phosphates without the drawbacks of over feeding.

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted some pictures I don’t know if they went through though
Welcome to R2R!!!
If everything is looking good leave it alone.
I had corals die on my watch and I think it’s because of it because everything else it’s in check like a birds nest just die within 2 weeks
How are you testing nitrates and phosphates?
Some things to consider:

1) You may have phosphates but your chaeto is removing them faster than you can test for them.

2) You can remove chaeto as basically it’s doing what you wanted it to do: clear phosphates. Or you can take out some of the chaeto and see if phosphates trickle back up.

3) Run a heavier bioload of more fish and/or up your feedings.

Good luck! We’d like to see some pics!

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my recent tank build that started with dry rock. Increasing feeding didn't really seem to help get phosphates or nitrates into detectable levels, so I ordered Brightwell's NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I dosed the neophos into the ATO and the NeoNitro direct into the tank. A few weeks of that got things up to detectable levels and then I stopped dosing the NeoPhos. I still dose the NeoNitro and added CheatoGrow for my fuge, which seems to help as well.

IMO, the bottled nitrate/phosphates are probably the least expensive thing you will ever buy for your tank and they help to increase nitrates and phosphates without the drawbacks of over feeding.
I try that as you can see on the pictures I have the bottles but I got them detected for a little while and then they were gone I was hoping that when I stop dosing they will remain detectable but I think my system will require permanent dosing and that’s what I didn’t want

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started the build of my tank I hope you guys enjoy it it’s not done yet but it’s my pride and Joy

5F092880-9BEB-4EAC-8DBE-AF32195E3D73.jpeg

0882FB31-5102-4C8A-879A-54B5F34F018E.jpeg

7F2A55D8-7499-49DF-9E52-36F9BCC9BCCA.jpeg

4DF5672E-27C5-499E-A262-2BBD893F350E.jpeg

C6B26334-5218-43D9-9DBA-5ADD40372AF5.jpeg

BE4CEB19-EE8E-4E57-A4C7-E7121657B56C.jpeg

CDE3C852-402F-41B0-B9A6-E2DBD01FCB96.jpeg

B574B95B-7EEA-4173-B8B5-A76098AC28DF.jpeg

AC1848EA-B3AA-4AA9-8102-D81D3A13CD5A.jpeg

4DE6FB58-71C7-46F5-96B5-DCE46247F3FB.jpeg

587FFC35-7B74-4106-9863-8FA8EC3CC5BD.jpeg
Nice build. All that work that goes into a small cube full of life.

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stock list... 1 fire shrimp, 1 diamond goby, 1 mandarin dragonet, 1 midas blenny, 2 black ocelaris clown, 1 baby yellow tang, 1 baby tomini tang, 1 purple fire fish, 1 ruby red wrasse, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 six line wrasse, 1 female anthias and my last edition it’s a long horn cow fish and I have a tiger conch some snails and several blue leg crabs

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find that the check valve works well? I am plumbing my second tank with a sump (first tank is an AIO) and i've read incredibly mixed reviews.
I haven’t had problems with it at all plus I keep it clean I take it apart and clean it once a month even though it doesn’t look dirty and I have another one as a backup

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. All that work that goes into a small cube full of life.
I know me and the wife really enjoy it we could be watching a movie and I take a glance at my wife and she’s staring at the tank a lot during the movies we go together to local fish stores. She helped me a lot plus she loves feeding the fish and stared at them sometimes, when I’m at work she calls me and tells me they look so hungry can I feed them again ‍♂️

OP
OP
Jose A Diaz

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know me and the wife really enjoy it we could be watching a movie and I take a glance at my wife and she’s staring at the tank a lot during the movies we go together to local fish stores. She helped me a lot plus she loves feeding the fish and stared at them sometimes, when I’m at work she calls me and tells me they look so hungry can I feed them again ‍♂️
And she help me build the aquascape. She actually make the design for it and we build it as close to the design as possible. The aquascape it’s a 2 separate island design one bigger than the other

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back