• Leave the aquarium alone and let it mature more

• Start dosing phosphates and nitrates

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jose A Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m new to R2R I have a 60 gallon cube at 1 year old mark and have a 40 gallon breeder as a sump with total water volume of 70 to 75 gallons a Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, 2 gallons of Marine pure spheres and cheto. I have a total of 12 fish for about 7 months now. 1 rose bubble tip anemone and a few corals and I still see no NITRATES and PHOSPHATES. I feed seaweed and half a cube of frozen misys shrimp a day and Reef-Roids 2 times a week. It’s my system to young still? or my filtration system it’s to good doing its job? I haven’t done a water change in about a month now keeping an eye on my Calcium, Alk and magnesium trying to see if I get them but they’re still O phosphates and nitrates. Should I start dosing NITRATES and PHOSPHATES to my system??? Or what should I do regarding this situation. Thank you guys in advance...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Jose!!!
I had the same problem. I just fed more. Don't fret about it too much so long as all your corals are looking good. The nutrients are there but are being utilized by all the organisms that need it. There is a tightrope that you end up walking when you start to dose. Whatever you try, DO IT SLOWLY AND OVER TIME.
Let's see some photos of your setup!
Hit the Like button and Share often!

Last edited:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! Post some photos of your tank or, better yet, post a build thread in the "Member's tanks" section. As for dosing, I am not the person to ask. I've never had a 0 nutrient system. Sorry I can't help. Someone will come along...

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah hit Randy up and

1A57568A-D548-4BCB-88D7-6A8B300D8190.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Jose! +1 to the above. Feeding a bit more solved my similar problem. I make a fish "smoothie" out of several different frozen cubes. The trick is to place several different cubes in the fridge and let them "slump" until you can stir them a bit. Then strain off the excess liquid. It has lots of nitrates and phosphates. Now you can feed more without your nitrates and phosphates going sky high. As always move slowly and let your tank adjust to the new food levels. ;)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are already getting some good advice, so I'll just add my welcome to R2R!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Jose.

If your corals look good and are growing, and your bubble tip is also happy then you are feeding the tank & fish perfectly.
I also use to have zero N & P until I went away for work and my wife took over feeding the fish. They looked hungry and begged every time she walked by the tank so they grew a lot while I was gone. :)

The N & P were very high as a result and I am still working on bringing them back down after 6 months they are almost non-detect.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the party! I wish I had the same problem starting out. I agree with everyone else. As long as everything appears healthy, you have the cushion you need to go slow. You can reduce the lighting schedule of your fuge, increase feeding , or as a last resort dose. I personally would do one thing first and monitor for a while. If that doesn't help, add another approach and monitor. I personally would start with increased feeding, but that's just me.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

Totally agree w kris. If everything is looking good call it a job well done.

Just asking, which kit are u testing with. Just to be sure u r truly at 0. Regardless I say do what u r doing and enjoy.

And glad your here

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good advice already, and you could also look at increasing your bioload, (more fish) as an option, then like me you will be battling to keep nutrients down! I have ‘issues’ with fish! Lol

But it will all happen for you, given time and anything you need just ask

And welcome to R2R as well, great to have you with us!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to consider:

1) You may have phosphates but your chaeto is removing them faster than you can test for them.

2) You can remove chaeto as basically it’s doing what you wanted it to do: clear phosphates. Or you can take out some of the chaeto and see if phosphates trickle back up.

3) Run a heavier bioload of more fish and/or up your feedings.

Good luck! We’d like to see some pics!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back