0 Nitrates so I dosed Sodium Nitrate

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read through all the answers but from reading the op I would be inclined to believe your colour loss is down to the removal of micro nutrients, trace elements from the rapid growth of chaeto in combination with your fluidisation of GAK. I would bet my bottom dollar your tank is lacking in either Ion, iodine or molybdenum, I would pick Iron out of those 3 as the main culprit.

I've kept zoas and palys in systems run solely by Chaeto in a fuge with a big LED light like yours and my zoas colours were much better with zero nitrate than with and readings. The growth rates were terrible at zero nitrate but they looked fantastic.

I have also dosed sodium nitrate before, I wasn't dosing it for long because although my zoas loved it my Palythoas did not. If I was to try again I would use potassium nitrate as zoas love potassium.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, you will need to dose PO4 to lower your NO3 an appreciable amount. IME, growth slows/stops without PO4.

PO4 of .o1 is really low. My corals would be seriously unhappy.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose sodium nitrate and have not noticed that it bothers any corals. I used to dose KNO3, but it raised my K too high.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Steallife904, I just tested the PO4 in my 180 a few minutes ago and it was on the high side of .03 with a Salifert test kit. Does that mean I run a low nutrient system? No, because I've dosed several ml of PO4 today, and will dose it again before I go to bed, plus the fish are fed heavily twice each day, and the corals are fed Reefroids each night. My point is that the test result isn't indicative of the amount of PO4 that is consumed by the tank's ecosystem daily (i.e. hopefully, primarily the corals and corraline algae).

I like to experiment, so I would dose a small amount and then watch it.

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so since my nitrate is a bit over 5ppm now and phosphate .01 should i still dose phosphate to get it closer to .03?
I would keep it there and see how your system progresses. This way you can isolate one variable at a time and note then effects. I'm at PO4 .03 and figured that was good for now.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean I run a low nutrient system? No ...

I liked the analogy of looking at an empty plate. Is it empty because there was never any food or because all the food was consumed? Big difference, yet they measure the same.

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else get big cyano outbreak? I dossed to 5ppm.

with the help of water changes etc in back down to 0.5ppm now, cyano still there.

Should I try again before taking out the chemiclean?

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any cyano, but my LFS tried dosing nitrate and ended up with cyano. I would check your Ro/Di unit.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I don't use an Ro/Di unit, so I probably shouldn't have commented; however, from what I have read they remove bacteria. Don't the membranes need to be periodically replaced?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I don't use an Ro/Di unit, so I probably shouldn't have commented; however, from what I have read they remove bacteria. Don't the membranes need to be periodically replaced?

Sometimes, yes. But not usually because the TDS rises after the DI, unless the DI is depleted.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.5%
Back