0 nutrients after dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro

jamesdomini4

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My phosphates are stuck at 0. I am dosing enough NeoPhos to raise it by 0.03 daily for 3 days now (as per instructions on the bottle). According to Hanna phosphorus ulr test kit, my tank takes up 0.20 phosphate per day (I had a spike for 2 days form a fish death, sand burrowing wrasse that got fully consumed my tank cuc). It’s a 25 lagoon started with live rock form the gulf.

Is my system carbon limited? How can I know if my system is carbon limited? I dose tropic marine all for reef (my phosphates went to 0.006 and eventually 0 once I started dosing it. It was previously at 0.012). Alk consumption is 0.2 dkh per day.

I am also going through a cyano outbreak now. Dose that have an effect on my nutrients? Nitrate is undetectable as well (granted that I use API test kit for that).

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just dose more if the values are not coming off zero. Most tanks are carbon limited for bacteria, but that has no bearing on N and P being low.

Yes, cyano is consuming some of the nutrients, as will other organics and binding of phosphate to the rock and sand.

When is the last time you purchased cleanup crew critters?

• Past few days

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Past few weeks

Votes: 135 26.8%
  • Past few months

Votes: 162 32.1%
  • Over a half a year

Votes: 72 14.3%
  • Over a year ago

Votes: 70 13.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.8%