0 Phosphates with high nitrates???

bahamasmls

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i would like to get someones opinion on this. I seem to have zero phos and 10.5 nitrates. I did recently add a few new fish which would explain the higher nitrates currently. They were 5-6 before adding. I have been over feeding a bit to help curve the stress of the new tangs i added in my 280g.

My alk is at 8.3 and i have a skimmer, filters socks, and chaeto in my refuguium(growing like crazy). Could the chaeto growth be sucking out the phosphates?

I have tested my phosphates several times with my hanna ULR test kit and keep getting zeros. Could the test kits be bad?

sps and everything is looking good minus a meat coral with its mouth open for a few days.

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before? Thanks

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 03-06 phosphates and as high as 65 ppm nitrates in my 340 gallon mixed reef with 15 large fish (1 of them around 11-12" in size). They eat a lot! I feed 8 cubes of frozen food a day, 1 sheet of nori per day, and I have an auto feeding flake / pellet food 4 times a day.

I vodka dose and run an algae turf scrubber. The algae turf scrubber keeps the phosphates lower (I believe) and the vodka dosing manages nitrates.

I'd kill for nitrates of 10-20 as my standard range. You need some or you will kill your corals. I had my nutrients bottom out once over the years and I lost a massive montipora, stylaphora, and a few other things. Everything has recovered since, but, no nutrients will kill corals faster than excessive nutrients.

If you are unable to get phosphates above zero, I would consider liquid phyto. Small doses of it provide the microscopic nutrients corals need. Just a couple ml of a good quality phyto 2 times a week keeps the corals in check without phosphates.

You could also do reef chili, reef roids. Be careful with these, they will skyrocket phosphates with just a tiny amount! I think reef roids said 1/4 or 1/8 of a teaspoon 1-2 times a week.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about the nitrate number at all. My fish and coral did fine with the nitrates at 65. They had issues with phosphates being .30. I finally have them down under .1 and my corals so much more amazing!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like my tank...I have to add NO3 and PO4 daily and still struggle to see any PO4 on my Hanna Low Range Checker. NO3 is usually around 5.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back