20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I have a Klein butterfly and a majano wand. I have a white spotted hermit in the sump and it eats all it can reach. Usually after a while my kids/nephews will use the majano wand on the ones thatvthe crab can't reach.
I've seen your white spotted hermit. He freaking eats aiptasia?!
 
Where does one buy T5s
That is a great question man. I'll be honest, when I started, I had never even heard of t5s. I've learned so much from my peeps on r2r
 
O
Agreed.
Wish I understood it better than I do to be honest.
I believe @ISpeakForTheSeas had a post with a great chart on which algae uses which light but I'm not positive.
One of the best write ups on lighting I've ever seen was from @Bruttall. I'll see if I can find it.
 
Should I order these? These would be my first ever zoa. I have a $50 dollar giftcard to the vendor that sells these.
Screenshot_20250210_171738_Chrome.jpg
I say oh heck yeah to those beauties! I'd own em in a heartbeat
 
So here’s the lighting formula I figured out years ago

If your light has multiple blue channels and violet, treat them as one channel.

Adjust to desired par

For me, I aim for 100 par on the sandbed. So I make Blue, Royal Blue, and Violet the same, and increase together, until my sandbed is approx 100 everywhere. Slight variations in some spots is normal. For my light, mounting height, and tank, this results in channels 3,5,6 at 40%

Then, white channel is like seasoning. Add white to your taste. For me, this is around 5-8% on ch 4. But i ran my reef over a year with white on 0-2%. And I know many that also do not use white channel at all.

Red and green channel are then leftover on my fixture. They are useless and I leave them at zero

Then to grow macro algae, all you need is red

Lighting complete!
 
@luis angel Man you won!? That's awesome! It was also a matter of time. Way to bring home the hardware, back to the Smorgasbord! You're knocking it out of the park, brother man.
 
So here’s the lighting formula I figured out years ago

If your light has multiple blue channels and violet, treat them as one channel.

Adjust to desired par

For me, I aim for 100 par on the sandbed. So I make Blue, Royal Blue, and Violet the same, and increase together, until my sandbed is approx 100 everywhere. Slight variations in some spots is normal. For my light, mounting height, and tank, this results in channels 3,5,6 at 40%

Then, white channel is like seasoning. Add white to your taste. For me, this is around 5-8% on ch 4. But i ran my reef over a year with white on 0-2%. And I know many that also do not use white channel at all.

Red and green channel are then leftover on my fixture. They are useless and I leave them at zero

Then to grow macro algae, all you need is red

Lighting complete!
So lowering just white light a few percent shouldn't effect Par too much? I went from 20% to 12% and without a par meter, I didn't have actual numbers.
 
I've seen your white spotted hermit. He freaking eats aiptasia?!
Well ... there were 9 aiptasia on my heater when I added him to the sump. Now there are none. If I put him in the display I wouldn't have any soft coral or sponges left I'm thinking. They eventually get the size of a softball.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new