20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I made most of mine with Aragocrete.
image.jpg

I've added a little more since this picture also.
Did you seed it with anything?
 
I'm trying to get some more biodiversity in my tank so when kp aquatics starts selling live rock again I want to get 20 or 30 lbs and fit some in the tank/sump. I'm thinking of building something here
1000004114.jpg
Cynarina!
Screenshot_20250112_090738_Gallery.jpg
 
Leptoseris for the low light win!
Screenshot_20250112_090447_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250112_090511_Gallery.jpg
Move it away from the Favia some. Both of those corals can get some sweeper tentacles and be aggressive. I'd give them around 6"-7" between the 2 for now.
 
Leptoseris for the low light win!
Screenshot_20250112_090447_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250112_090511_Gallery.jpg
And I realized after hitting send that that's likely not a Favia but a Plesiastrea or something I suppose. I'd still give them a little space between them.
 
The Smorgasbord will bombard the powers that be demanding he gets it!
I think since he was a supporting member when he won it thank he should still get it.
 
Did you seed it with anything?
I used 80 pounds of live sand and 40 pounds of dry sand. I used Live Nitrifying bacteria and Microbacter 7. I also used about 20 gallons of water change water to pre-soak the rock for a few weeks before setting up the tank.
 
I used 80 pounds of live sand and 40 pounds of dry sand. I used Live Nitrifying bacteria and Microbacter 7. I also used about 20 gallons of water change water to pre-soak the rock for a few weeks before setting up the tank.
I used all dry and a microbactor nitrifying bacteria kit. Wish I used live sand at least
 
I set my tank up in 2023 with Marco rock, “live sand”, a load of pods, and some starter bacteria. If I were to do it again, I would have tried to get at least half the rock from an established tank that was being torn down or some water.

I let the algae train roll on for almost a full year before it settled down. I had a massive bubble algae issue, solved with a mess of emerald and pitho crabs, Mexican turbos, tuxedo urchins, and a fox face. GHA was solved by the turbos and tang. Cyan was solved by keeping phos and nitrates in check.

Pods definitely help, I need to add a lot more. And some amphioods.
 
I think since he was a supporting member when he won it thank he should still get it.
Appreciate it I guess we will just have to find out lol.
 
@Remi Sea Apples are a level above other filtering cucumbers (e.g., my yellow cuke), which are themselves a level above the sand filtering one with regards to risk of nuking your tank. Sea apples have a bad reputation. I would check with @ISpeakForTheSeas , who I think has a few posts and references on the real risk of sea apples and cukes.
I know I'm late and the cuke has been decided against, but yeah, some posts/references for anyone interested (TLDR; cuke nukes do happen, but they're very rare - sand-sifting cukes are safer than filter-feeders generally, but they're also generally less colorful):

This link contains feed/care info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sea-cocumber-id.1025179/#post-12039108
Yeah, I've only heard of a couple of instances where a "cuke nuke" actually took place despite knowing multiple instances of cucumbers ejecting either a toxic fluid, their organs, or their cuvierian tubules, so it's definitely not a common event (at least not with sand sifting species). That said, keep in mind that the toxicity varies from one species to the next, and some species are more toxic in certain ways (some are more toxic when they expel toxins in some way, others contain more toxin in their body wall, etc.), and various circumstances (such as water volume, skimmers, running carbon or not, etc.) about the aquarium they're in can determine how much harm the toxin causes.

Personally, I'd say they generally seem pretty safe, but you need to be aware of the (relatively low) risk and have a plan in place to handle it if things go awry.

The cuke nukings:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anemone-toxin-sea-cucumber-toxin.925354/https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1557506321000483An instance of ejecting a fluid (nothing seemed to have been harmed in the tank, but this stuff is reportedly toxic):
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-black-sea-cucumber-red-stuff.965270/
(Another reported cuke nuke in the post linked below)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...in-your-aquarium.1032008/page-2#post-12269773
Yeah, all sea cucumbers (including sea apples) are toxic - some are just much, much less likely to release that toxin than others, and some contain less of it than others in the first place. As a general rule (there are exceptions), filter-feeding sea cucumbers are more likely to release toxins than deposit-feeding (A.K.A. sand-sifting) cukes are, and they are more likely to contain more of the toxins as well.

The toxin - Holothurin - is an ichthyotoxin (so it primarily impacts fish); importantly, however, like many other toxins, it will affect inverts (and people) in high enough concentrations. In most aquariums this isn't an issue, as most cukes kept contain relatively low levels of the toxin and are kept in tanks with enough water to dilute it, but it could potentially be an issue in a pico tank if toxins are released into the water (so don't touch the water in the pico if the cuke dies - just change 100% of the water and move on at that point to be safe).

Sea cucumbers can release Holothurin in a variety of ways when severely stressed and when dead/decaying (the toxin is literally in the body - the body wall, organs, etc. - so the cuke doesn't need to be alive to produce the toxin). So, keeping sea cucumbers in a low stress environment is key to avoiding the release of toxins - don't keep them with anything that might harass them (thankfully, not many things typically kept in aquariums bother cukes), make sure they can't get harmed by the equipment/setup of the tank (cukes and unprotected powerheads don't get along), watch for signs of stress or poor health, remove them right away if they die, and keep carbon and mixed saltwater on hand in case of emergencies.

All that to say, in most cases, sea cucumbers are cool, beneficial critters in our tanks and don't "cuke nuke" the tanks even if they do release their toxins - the rare cases where they do "nuke" a tank are good reminders to be aware of and prepared for the risk that they might though.
A lot of sea cucumbers will give you some sort of warning before they die (such as contracting to look short and squat - a defense mechanism/sign of extreme distress that they use to try and escape predators/death - or ejecting a cloud of toxins - because of how this actually works, the cucumber generally dies after releasing the toxins), and some of them, as long as they don't get hyper distressed, (as I understand it) won't intentionally release toxins in your tank - they just die like a normal animal, so as long as you remove the body fast enough, it won't poison your tank.
 
Shipping is $40 on live and dry is $50+ for free shipping. It would make the Hanna free, the sea hare free, and it would cover about half of the shipping for the sea hare most likely.

I will add - I've had a very bad experience with their live shipping recently as have several others that I chat with here in Reef2Reef. Sometimes it works out but it's seeming very low success rate recently.
Interesting... I could try hannas but they seem to be constantly out of stock so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them. I won't do any live shipping ridiculous you had trouble. Thought they were good at that "live guarantee" not sure about that..
 
That is gorgeous!
These guys are amongst my favorite corals. They are very hardy and have so much personality. The feeding reaction the have is amazing, and they are just so "alive". I believe every tank should have one!
 
These guys are amongst my favorite corals. They are very hardy and have so much personality. The feeding reaction the have is amazing, and they are just so "alive". I believe every tank should have one!
Tell me the name again? Are they pretty easy to keep?
 
Move it away from the Favia some. Both of those corals can get some sweeper tentacles and be aggressive. I'd give them around 6"-7" between the 2 for now.
That was just set up for a picture. I put them there when I was vacuuming my sandbed, but you're right Tim, that would've been one heck if a slap fight of left unattended
 
Last edited:
Interesting... I could try hannas but they seem to be constantly out of stock so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them. I won't do any live shipping ridiculous you had trouble. Thought they were good at that "live guarantee" not sure about that..
They are but it doesn't cover the shipping costs only the cost of the live stock.
 
They are but it doesn't cover the shipping costs only the cost of the live stock.
That's dumb. Thanks for letting me know
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new