20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I can never in good conscience suggest a damsel of any kind. I'm sure others have had excellent experiences with them, but me? Never again. By far the most evil fish I've ever encountered.
That seems to be what the majority of what I'm reading says.
 
The list of corals looks good to me, I'm only worried about the Pavona and the Birdsnest, although the Pavona is said to be one of the easiest SPS, and another thing, I only see a tang (chocolate tang), what is the other one?
A Scopas
 
I like your choices, another question, do you want the tangs because you like them or do you want them more so that they help you eat algae?
 
Really thinking about placing this order but wanted you guys thoughts...
Screenshot_20250113_094001_Affirm.jpg
Screenshot_20250113_093947_Affirm.jpg
Screenshot_20250113_093954_Affirm.jpg
Screenshot_20250113_094001_Affirm.jpg
Screenshot_20250113_094006_Affirm.jpg
Screenshot_20250113_094013_Affirm.jpg
Screenshot_20250113_094021_Affirm.jpg
Good list Amanda but I think the birdsnest is a little pricey. I’ve heard tales of a lunatic in Ohio that gives birdsnest frags away for free. ;)
 
Good list Amanda but I think the birdsnest is a little pricey. I’ve heard tales of a lunatic in Ohio that gives birdsnest frags away for free. ;)
I want some free birdsnest but Ohio is just a touch too far to drive. Kevin, I need you to go get some and bring em to me ok? :grinning-face-with-sweat:
 
Good list Amanda but I think the birdsnest is a little pricey. I’ve heard tales of a lunatic in Ohio that gives birdsnest frags away for free. ;)
Sadly Ohio is too far from me to drive or I would happily go meet the lunatic...
 
I like your choices, another question, do you want the tangs because you like them or do you want them more so that they help you eat algae?
Both. I like them but that they will eat algea is am added bonus.
 
I can never in good conscience suggest a damsel of any kind. I'm sure others have had excellent experiences with them, but me? Never again. By far the most evil fish I've ever encountered.
Agreed John although I'm putting at THE top of my list any and all dottybacks.
Period.
 
Both. I like them but that they will eat algea is am added bonus.
Scopus is a wonderful fish and actually quite beautiful.
Can get very large and territorial and will defend itself very well, if you know what I mean.
I had one take on a Niger trigger.
I'm a firm beliver in one tang per tank unless you're at 300 gallons but that's just me.
I'd get a Scopus again no problem so good choice.
I just tend to be safe rather than sorry.
For me the most aggressive tangs are the purple, powder blue, yellow and Scopus, maybe not in that order.
They do tend to leave everything else alone, unless the other fish are aggressive too.
My dos centavos.
 
Scopus is a wonderful fish and actually quite beautiful.
Can get very large and territorial and will defend itself very well, if you know what I mean.
I had one take on a Niger trigger.
I'm a firm beliver in one tang per tank unless you're at 300 gallons but that's just me.
I'd get a Scopus again no problem so good choice.
I just tend to be safe rather than sorry.
For me the most aggressive tangs are the purple, powder blue, yellow and Scopus, maybe not in that order.
They do tend to leave everything else alone, unless the other fish are aggressive too.
My dos centavos.
I'm hoping since they are shaped totally different and going in at the same time I will have no issues.
 
i always think of jennifer when i see a chocolate tang. she was so excited about that fish!
That's why I got one to honor her. She was an amazing and inspiring person and everytime I look at my tank I think of her especially since she was the one that gave me my lights when my first set died.
 
Do you guys think if I turn the rock that my anemone is stuck to it will make it mad and make it move? I just want to turn it slightly toward the front where I can see it more...
 
Agreed John although I'm putting at THE top of my list any and all dottybacks.
Period.
Yes absolutely right! Sadly.....
 
Do you guys think if I turn the rock that my anemone is stuck to it will make it mad and make it move? I just want to turn it slightly toward the front where I can see it more...
If it has been there for a long time, it is because it likes that place. You could try to move it and if you see that it moves, then turn back, or leave it to luck lol and let it move where it wants.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new