20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I increase weekly I was at 30% with the cyano. As I want the aquarium to handle the risk of algae vs the increase intensity.

Screenshot_2025-02-10-10-52-38-50_edd771c3a053fd0d49e8766b2fc17688.jpg
That is a lot of white if you're having algae issues Remi.
 
Kryptonite candy coral.
By your suggestion Kevin, that was my first coral, and still one of the brightest color pops in my tank.
 
The problem is no growth, not algae
It will be with all that white light lol. I've never run over 20% whites, and that is my daytime peak. Whites is full spectrum. I'd address point intensity or supplemental lighting before ramping whites up that high. Just my two cents on my experience with lighting.
 
That is a lot of white if you're having algae issues Remi.
And also remember brother that not all lights are the same, one brand can be 20% white and another brand 60% white and both can give the same PAR ;)
 
It will be with all that white light lol. I've never run over 20% whites, and that is my daytime peak. I'd address point intensity or supplemental lighting before ramping whites up that high. Just two cents on my experience with lighting.
Same here 20% max white in my lights
 
And also remember brother that not all lights are the same, one brand can be 20% white and another brand 60% white and both can give the same PAR ;)
I agree that you can't compare the percentages 1 to 1, but You still have room to subtract white and add blue or purple/royal blue, just based on the percentage disparity. The balance would be the same, though, and spectrum wouldn't change across light brands. To each their own though. Unless you just want a white look and that's the reasoning.
 
I agree that you can't compare the percentages 1 to 1, but You still have room to subtract white and add blue or purple/royal blue, just based on the percentage disparity. The balance would be the same, though, and spectrum wouldn't change across light brands. To each their own though. Unless you just want a white look and that's the reasoning.
Agree, he could try increasing the blue first and then try the white, and if something happens or create algae, go back
 
My white is linked with the royal blue. As of now it is at 20% max. Regular blue is at 65% max.
That's my full spectrum with my nicrews, then the whites go to 0 and the blues stay.
 
That's my full spectrum with my nicrews, then the whites go to 0 and the blues stay.
Almost identical to where I set my radion. I also reduced a bit of red even though I love the look.
 
The problem is no growth, not algae
Blue is what allows the corals to grow, white is generally for our eyes only. There's been some serious discussion about whether or not white light PAR actually does anything at all. When measuring PAR for corals, the best practice is to turn off the white completely and only measure PAR with the blue lights on at their setpoint. Once that's measured, add the white back in for your likes as the coral could care less but the algae loves it!
 
You guys and your whites... Mine are set at 10% max and my blues and UV are 100% max and my red and green are 10-15% max.
 
Almost identical to where I set my radion. I also reduced a bit of red even though I love the look.
many people compare Nicrew with Radion in intensity, although in generation 1 which is the one I have I can only control blue (that's where every blues an purple comes in) and white (that's where white, red and green come in)
 
It will be with all that white light lol. I've never run over 20% whites, and that is my daytime peak. Whites is full spectrum. I'd address point intensity or supplemental lighting before ramping whites up that high. Just my two cents on my experience with lighting.
I took down the nicrews went back to T5's.
Don't like the white or blue, all just seemed too intense for me, too fake, not soft enough
Can't really explain it but there you go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new