20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Okay.

We met a little while after I moved to Massachusetts to teach computers in the late 70s. I saw her in a hallway and it was all over. I was offered a job overseas and took it. We reconnected in the early 90s and have been together since.

Here we are in 93 or maybe 94:
T_D-90s.jpg


and here we are a few years ago at OdySea (a local aquarium).

image_204223162.jpg
Lovely couple of the day! Dang it I was going for that title. It looks like the fun you guys started years ago is just as strong and vibrant today.
 
That was the first one I thought of from your comments. The early 90s Japanese turbos were really good cars. I also had an 89 Probe GT which was Mazda under the badge. I didn't drive Dianne's car very often but when I did, it always impressed me. I had a friend with an RX-7 it was pretty sweet as well.
The Turbo awd Eagle Talon ( Mitsubishi eclipse) was a lot of fun. I test drove one twice. The bottom picture looks identical to my Dodge Stealth except I had different ( better) factory wheels.
IMG_3465.jpeg
IMG_3466.jpeg
 
Midnight snack

Screenshot_20261011_022658_Gallery.jpg
Don't snack on them John!
I went back and looked at the pictures of my collected, hurricane salt water. And I realized, it looks like absolute coffee! What the heck was I thinking? Even the gulf itself looks black 😆

Screenshot_20261011_030119_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030134_Gallery.jpg


However, as soon as I dumped the water into the tank, almost every coral extended or responded positively. The scolys and dendros lost their minds!

20261010_183723.jpg


I realize it was a bit risky, and maybe I put something in there that will pop up later, but right now the tank looks wonderful.

Screenshot_20261011_030208_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030214_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030224_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030239_Gallery.jpg


I have fought cyano, GHA, aiptasia, extremely high P04, and Brown jelly disease in the last 4 months alone. The tank is now free from all of those issues.

Screenshot_20261011_030318_Gallery.jpg



These were my methods:
Cyano: Microbacter CLEAN and Coral snow
Aiptasia: Berghia
GHA: Sea Hare. Corrected long term by using NSW for water changes
P04: NSW. That was the only change made. The volume of water changed was actually cut by 50%
BJD: Removed affected corals. I did not want to use cipro in case it would have an effect on the newly established, and hard earned microbiome
Wow, come fix my tank. Yours is beautiful!
 
The Turbo awd Eagle Talon ( Mitsubishi eclipse) was a lot of fun. I test drove one twice. The bottom picture looks identical to my Dodge Stealth except I had different ( better) factory wheels.
IMG_3465.jpeg
IMG_3466.jpeg
Beautiful car.
 
@kingranch2003 your gonna let these sit around. Just saying I'll cut a good deal on the 6 pack. Local price plus ship.....
I appreciate the player price brother. Im just not looking for acros in this tank right now. That is in the plans for the bigger tank in the future, but that'll be a bit down the road.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new