1̶0̶0̶0̶ 600 gallon "ish" build

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build has me excited! My dream tank is around this size, I can't wait to see everything come together. My parents are out in Kalamazoo, it would be great to check this out sometime when you get it finished! (If you are anywhere near there :) ).

Have you planned out your sump? What are you planning to use as your main source of nutrient export? Chaeto, ATS, mechanical filtration, or a mix of all?

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build has me excited! My dream tank is around this size, I can't wait to see everything come together. My parents are out in Kalamazoo, it would be great to check this out sometime when you get it finished! (If you are anywhere near there :) ).

Have you planned out your sump? What are you planning to use as your main source of nutrient export? Chaeto, ATS, mechanical filtration, or a mix of all?

I am about an hour south of Kalamazoo. I’m sure we could figure something out once it is all in :)

Main nutrient export will be a huge skimmer. 7.5’ tall 12” diameter from Aquarium Engineering. Sump will be 4x4x2 and I may plumb in a refugium at some point, but not to start.

Don

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about an hour south of Kalamazoo. I’m sure we could figure something out once it is all in :)

Main nutrient export will be a huge skimmer. 7.5’ tall 12” diameter from Aquarium Engineering. Sump will be 4x4x2 and I may plumb in a refugium at some point, but not to start.

Don

That would be great!

Gotcha, I've heard they do fantastic work! I think you would see quite a positive impact of a refugium, but adding it once there is a nutrient load to sustain it is a good idea (just my 2 cents). I look forward to more updates!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly, that’s a serious rodi set up for a serious reef tank! Can’t wait to see more!

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to have a chat with the little birdie..... Seems he has loose lips :D

I do indeed have quite a few updates! I haven't been a very good build thread contributor....

I have been working hard to get the support equipment ready for this build. Coral QT, Fish QT, Frag System, support equipment for the display, etc...

I have a few so I will post each one in a separate post, should be up in a few minutes.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a confession to make, I have been indoctrinated in to the "scorched earth" club for QT. It may seem extreme, but ultimately I think it is worth it. I have had too many preventable losses in the past, so I QT everything... literally everything. More on that in a later post.

In light of that, I have multiple quarantine systems. Coral QT, Fish QT, Frag Tank for Coral once out of Coral QT, etc.

I had been planning a smaller Coral QT system, but I found an unused corner in our basement bathroom that seemed like it needed a tank!

Building the Stand

Light hung

All cleaned up, plumbed, and ready to quarantine some coral and other bits

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of DIY whenever possible, if not for gaining the understanding of the details of how our equipment operates, but it also tends to be a bit cheaper!

Now this isn't EXACTLY DIY, but it certainly isn't "off the shelf".

I wanted my return pump to be controllable and be capable of flowing at least 6000 GPH, but also not break the bank! I also wanted to stick with an external pump because getting a submersible pump the necessary flow, I would be spending MANY thousands of dollars.

I really liked the Sequence series of pumps from MDM, but they were all single phase single speed motors. I contacted them and they were willing to sell just the pump assembly, so I ordered the assembly for the Sequence 4000 Series Model 8200SEQ22. That takes care of the volute, housing, impeller, etc.

I then started hunting for a motor to drive it. I actually ended up purchasing several. I found 2 Baldor CJM3538 .5HP motors for a great deal originally intending to use 1 of them, but I ended up finding a Baldor .5HP Washdown duty motor designed specifically to be used in harsh and wet environments. So that will be my primary motor, with the others as backups if ever needed.

All of these motors are 3 phase and I will be using a VFD to control the motor. I will only ever run 2 speeds, wherever I determine normal running will be and a "Feed Mode" which will be minimal flow to prevent most of the food from running to the sump.

I also ordered the same seal many of the people use to replace the seal on the Reeflo Hammerhead pumps. This is a bit on the expensive side, but from what I have found, they rarely, if ever leak and last many years in service.

This combo is capable of flowing at least 8200GPH. The best part, all things considered, I was able to put this together for about 2/3 the price of the Sequence Single speed pump.

US Seal PS-1905

Baldor Motor Matched up with the Sequence Pump End

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been back and forth on only using the dry rock that I have bleached and ready to go, or seeding it with live rock. I finally made a decision and ordered 100lbs of Live Rock from KP Aquatics. I opted to have it shipped fully submerged and via air freight to my closest airport.

I could not be HAPPIER with my experience with KP Aquatics. Philipp is an absolute pleasure to work with! From any questions I had to coordinating the delivery, everything was TOP notch.

Rock arrived on time in Chicago! Ready for the drive home.

Home safe and sound waiting for QT to heat up after a mishap...

Teasing me through the bag. Well packaged and triple bagged!

First box looks REALLY good! Very promising. The bag smelled fresh like the ocean and the water in the bag was still 82!

First of MANY hitchikers. There were at least 20 starfish I saw on the rock.

1 of 2 Pencil Urchins that came on the rock

Lots of feather dusters on this rock, and some great colors and patterns!

1 of several Red Mithrax crabs I found while unpacking

Even a scarlet reef hermit!

A couple of porcelain crabs, what I believe to be a gorilla crab, and the first of 2 mantis shrimp I found. Don't worry, they were separated after this pic!

This is about half the rock, the rest is in the sump, putting up the light there tonight!

Overall this rock is AMAZING! Great shapes, light, full of holes, seems very porous. So far 2 "less than desirable" mantis shrimp, but they are floating in containers in the QT sump while I decide what to do with them. I would %100 order rock from KP Aquatics again!

Now we just wait 3 months for the rock to sit in QT while any ich or anything else fish disease related dies off. Hopefully the tank will be ready by then!

Last edited:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to have a chat with the little birdie..... Seems he has loose lips :D

I do indeed have quite a few updates! I haven't been a very good build thread contributor....

I have been working hard to get the support equipment ready for this build. Coral QT, Fish QT, Frag System, support equipment for the display, etc...

I have a few so I will post each one in a separate post, should be up in a few minutes.

Hey, leave the little birdie alone. How else are we going to get updates on this amazing build??

In all seriousness, everything is looking spectacular Don. That rock looks amazing and all the support systems look awesome. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock from KP Aquatics is settling in nicely! I have been testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily and they have all been undetectable every day! Looks like little to no die off.

Sometimes uneventful is good :)

Don

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I had to go back to the little birdie again who told me that I need to ask for updates on this build.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back