1 1/2 piping to 3/4...will it help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cmajor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cmajor

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
174
Reaction score
121
Location
Fayetteville
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am moving my 125 gallon reef with 40 gallon sump tank to another room in the house. When i initially set up the tank i used 1 1/2 inch pipe for both the return and drain lines. Im thinking of keeping the drain lines at 1 1/2 but making the return line 3/4 pipe. im wondering if doing this will help with the issue of fluctuation in the return area with water. Its triggers my ato and overfills the sump level when everything returns to normal. I will get water gushing down the drain secondary piping like every 10 minutes. then it fixes it self. I adjust the gate valve which may help for a week then im back to the gushing water again. im not really sure whats going on here. This has been going on now for about 6 months but the tank has been setup for over 4 years and i did not have this problem until recently. I did not use unions so I will have to take the piping out and redo it anyone once i move the tank.
 
I am moving my 125 gallon reef with 40 gallon sump tank to another room in the house. When i initially set up the tank i used 1 1/2 inch pipe for both the return and drain lines. Im thinking of keeping the drain lines at 1 1/2 but making the return line 3/4 pipe. im wondering if doing this will help with the issue of fluctuation in the return area with water. Its triggers my ato and overfills the sump level when everything returns to normal. I will get water gushing down the drain secondary piping like every 10 minutes. then it fixes it self. I adjust the gate valve which may help for a week then im back to the gushing water again. im not really sure whats going on here. This has been going on now for about 6 months but the tank has been setup for over 4 years and i did not have this problem until recently. I did not use unions so I will have to take the piping out and redo it anyone once i move the tank.
You might want to use 1” for the return, it just flows way better than 3/4” in a tank that big!

Is your primary drain pipe submerged in the sump?
 
You might want to use 1” for the return, it just flows way better than 3/4” in a tank that big!

Is your primary drain pipe submerged in the sump?
So 1 inch. Is the 1 1/2 just way too much flow?

Yes the primary is about 6 inches submerged
 
I am moving my 125 gallon reef with 40 gallon sump tank to another room in the house. When i initially set up the tank i used 1 1/2 inch pipe for both the return and drain lines. Im thinking of keeping the drain lines at 1 1/2 but making the return line 3/4 pipe. im wondering if doing this will help with the issue of fluctuation in the return area with water. Its triggers my ato and overfills the sump level when everything returns to normal. I will get water gushing down the drain secondary piping like every 10 minutes. then it fixes it self. I adjust the gate valve which may help for a week then im back to the gushing water again. im not really sure whats going on here. This has been going on now for about 6 months but the tank has been setup for over 4 years and i did not have this problem until recently. I did not use unions so I will have to take the piping out and redo it anyone once i move the tank.
I think that will work well and will likely fix your flux issue in the sump.

I have two 1” overflows and one 3/4” return

The flux is caused by ever so slightly more water being returned to DT than can come down the overflow.
 
So 1 inch. Is the 1 1/2 just way too much flow?

Yes the primary is about 6 inches submerged
1.5” is indeed excessive for a pressurized return line in a <300g tank!

IMG_6692.png


As far as drain submersion? Try closer to 1” submerged!!

The flux is caused by ever so slightly more water being returned to DT than can come down the overflow.
Did you seriously just suggest that a 1.5” drain plumbing cannot handle <1,500gph???

Sir, if you don’t have experience with larger plumbing; please don’t comment on it!
 
1.5” is indeed excessive for a pressurized return line in a <300g tank!

IMG_6692.png


As far as drain submersion? Try closer to 1” submerged!!


Did you seriously just suggest that a 1.5” drain plumbing cannot handle <1,500gph???

Sir, if you don’t have experience with larger plumbing; please don’t comment on it!
I’m not suggesting anything at all.
I stated I have two 1” overflows and 3/4” return.
Total system volume is 300g.

We have some experience in larger systems as well.
IMG_1069.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new