1/4" Bulkheads that work for dosing?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for good 1/4" bulkheads that I can use on the caps of my KZ bottles. The Murdock bulkheads that they sell on BRS have pretty bad reviews which I found surprising since most Murdock products IME have been good for me. I'm already using (4) dosing containers in my stand and Im out of room so Id like to simply drill holes in a few of my elements bottles and auto dose them out. Most of the reviews for the murdock brand bulkheads say they lose prime. Hoping someone can give some clarity on a product they have seen to be reliable for this application. Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for good 1/4" bulkheads that I can use on the caps of my KZ bottles. The Murdock bulkheads that they sell on BRS have pretty bad reviews which I found surprising since most Murdock products IME have been good for me. I'm already using (4) dosing containers in my stand and Im out of room so Id like to simply drill holes in a few of my elements bottles and auto dose them out. Most of the reviews for the murdock brand bulkheads say they lose prime. Hoping someone can give some clarity on a product they have seen to be reliable for this application. Thanks!
Mur-loks are just fine. The main reason people have many issues with them usually equates to bad cut tubing (inward belled that doesnt make 360 contact with the O-ring) Or a dry O-ring that causes the tubing to be not fully seated past the o-rings seal.

I think john guest uses a metal affixing ring but its similar quality.

OP
OP
nothing_fancy

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mur-loks are just fine. The main reason people have many issues with them usually equates to bad cut tubing (inward belled that doesnt make 360 contact with the O-ring) Or a dry O-ring that causes the tubing to be not fully seated past the o-rings seal.

I think john guest uses a metal affixing ring but its similar quality.
Thanks, so you're saying this is mostly user error and that a straight cut of ro or rigid tubing is the way to go?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so you're saying this is mostly user error and that a straight cut of ro or rigid tubing is the way to go?
Yes. I use a pvc tubing cutter (a little big and overkill) but, it works to make a nice straight, cut without crushing the end of the tubing like sidecutters or scissors would.
You can alternatively use a razorblade on a flat surface.

OP
OP
nothing_fancy

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I use a pvc tubing cutter (a little big and overkill) but, it works to make a nice straight, cut without crushing the end of the tubing like sidecutters or scissors would.
You can alternatively use a razorblade on a flat surface.
Awesome, thank you, I have something similar to that for straight cuts. Appreciate it.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used different colors of Silicone Airline tubing, put that over Lee’s Rigid Tubing. Drilled a hole in an empty Simply Lemonade Bottle Cap, forced the Rigid through the hole, drilled a tiny breather hole next to the tubing hole. Adjusted the Lee’s tubing so it was just off of the bottom.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used the BRS ones with good success. . . they don't come with a gasket. . . I have had good luck using garden hose gaskets or just random ones from the home depot plumbing isle that are approximately the right size.

Back