1/4 Sand 3/4 BB Frag Tank??

  • Thread starter Thread starter mebo926
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mebo926

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
383
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious if anyone has tried or seen or heard of any one only having a portion of their tank having sand? Im building my frag tank and was going to do bare bottom. I was thinking and was really wanting to have a place to put some shrooms or zoas that arent attached to anything. There would be a piece of glass or acrylic that will come up about 6 inches, but only will have a 3 inch sand bed. I shouldnt have any problems with that area making a mess in the rest???
 
I was actually going to do this with my frag tank. I decided to just put 35 lbs in it anyways. I was thinking of just gluing a piece of acrylic across about the first 1/4 of the tank. I'm sure it will work just fine.
 
Sounds like a good idea. My friend and I have a frag tank that is bare bottom although we did a tupperware dish filled with sand to it for a wrasse that my friend was taking out of his display tank. The wrasse knocks the sand all around the tank. It does make a good bed for him. If we every take him out, I think we will use your idea to put shrooms and zoas.
 
I'm thinking if I put the piece high enough it wouldn't have any over flow. I'm sure there will be some particles here and there out but I can vacuum them up during maintenence. Do you think it honestly matters what side I would put it on ? I'm going to have my majority of flow come from my jebo 25 from the left and the return is gonna come across the middle along with supplemental if needed. Would the side under the power head be the best or the other side by the over flow?
 

Attachments

  • 1393206599547.jpg
    1393206599547.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 169
This is the tennative plan minus the small middle tank due to real life size. So now just also purchased sand om one side or the other.
1393284326666.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new