1,400 miles

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All--

Looking for helpful advice.
I am almost at the last stages of securing a new job. However this job requires me to move from OK to VA. I plan to hire some movers but the drive is still 20 hours nonstop. So I am estimating a three day travel by car.

What is the best way to move and transport my fish and corals as well as set up a "new" tank when I get there?? I will be moving in either December or January so the move is going to be cold. I am not sure if it would be more beneficial to overnight ship the fish or if transporting them in the uhaul is better. I have a 90g system that I am not overly attached to and wouldn't mind spending a little extra and upgrading. But that is still to be determined.

Any and all advice appreciated ((even if it is selling everything and starting over *sad face*))

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but in your case I would sell and start over. When I moved 10 miles I lost about half of my livestock. Its difficult to move that far as it is without all of the complications involved with moving a large tank.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All--

Looking for helpful advice.
I am almost at the last stages of securing a new job. However this job requires me to move from OK to VA. I plan to hire some movers but the drive is still 20 hours nonstop. So I am estimating a three day travel by car.

What is the best way to move and transport my fish and corals as well as set up a "new" tank when I get there?? I will be moving in either December or January so the move is going to be cold. I am not sure if it would be more beneficial to overnight ship the fish or if transporting them in the uhaul is better. I have a 90g system that I am not overly attached to and wouldn't mind spending a little extra and upgrading. But that is still to be determined.

Any and all advice appreciated ((even if it is selling everything and starting over *sad face*))

Congratulations on your new job! I used to live in Tysons Corner (northern VA) and I miss the area so very much. You'll love every part of Virginia so hoping it works out for you.

My sister has moved countless times and E.V.E.R.Y. time her tanks were broken. She went down in sizes hoping that would help, but again about 3 years ago going from Florida to Fredricksburg VA they broke that tank too.

*IF* you have the flexibility to move and setup while still having someone care for your tank here, then come back and drive/fly them to your already established new home, then that is my vote. (but not what I would do)

Personally I've gone about that same drive 3x - moving to DFW TX, family emergency when dad nearly died (back n forth but did stay weeks to recover (I WFH so packed & took my 'office')). Driving straight thru with just a quick rest stop nap and LOTS of caffeine but even if you drive three days - its tiring - and I've flown every other time back to my home area. If I were moving back home, I know I'd sell it all and start over once I got settled over there.

I moved my 180g just 20 miles with LFS help, they started 10am and finished 1am following day and lost 1 of my 4 fish. Can't imagine trying to do that over great distance because once I got there, I'd want to go to bed yet instead would have to stay awake and spend all that time trying to keep everything alive.

Either way you go, there are LOTS of great marine clubs and resources in VA/MD/DC so you'll be excited once you get settled.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Oldreefer44 and would sell the livestock. I once moved across town, literally 10 minutes and I killed almost everything. I've said this before and there were users who strongly disagreed with me and told how they moved across country without any losses, but that has not been my experience. Moving is a hectic time and trying to keep fish and coral alive just makes it that much harder.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell. Start from scratch. That’s part of the fun.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind and how many fish and coral are you planing on moving? If they're hardy fish (e.g. clowns or damsels) or softie corals you could get some black 5 gal buckets with lids and drill a hole to put some battery operated air pumps for the 3 day trip. I don't think I would attempt it if the corals or fish were delicate or expensive. Might be nice to have a small reminder of your old tank when you up grade. Also, I wouldn't move the tank and risk it breaking or the seals getting weakened.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind and how many fish and coral are you planing on moving? If they're hardy fish (e.g. clowns or damsels) or softie corals you could get some black 5 gal buckets with lids and drill a hole to put some battery operated air pumps for the 3 day trip. I don't think I would attempt it if the corals or fish were delicate or expensive. Might be nice to have a small reminder of your old tank when you up grade. Also, I wouldn't move the tank and risk it breaking or the seals getting weakened.
Livestock:
- chainlink eel
-lemonpeel angel
-sailfin tang
-scopas tang
-mochavinci clown
-fairy wrasse
-bluestar leopard wrasse
-pink spot goby
-mandarin goby
-starry blenny
-sandsifting star
-blue tuxedo urchin

Corals:
-chalice
-frogspawn
-hammer
-lepto
-rockflower nem
-porites w/ christmas tree worms
-maze brain
-candycane
-bubble coral
-mushrooms

and of course a boatload of CUC

I spent a TONNNN of time researching and planning for the fish. They are my babies and its going to be very hard to let them go :(

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in the “sell and start over” camp too. I’ve moved my small tank 5 times (once within the last month) and moving that tank is going to add a ton of stress to an already stressful time.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I wonder if there is a store or vendor that will at least board your fish and then ship when you are ready.

I highly doubt it but might be worth a few calls.
But you also risk stress, fighting and disease.

I moved a bunch of tetras a few years ago across town, and even that was stressful.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock:
- chainlink eel
-lemonpeel angel
-sailfin tang
-scopas tang
-mochavinci clown
-fairy wrasse
-bluestar leopard wrasse
-pink spot goby
-mandarin goby
-starry blenny
-sandsifting star
-blue tuxedo urchin

Corals:
-chalice
-frogspawn
-hammer
-lepto
-rockflower nem
-maze brain
-candycane
-bubble coral
-mushrooms

I spent a TONNNN of time researching and planning for the fish. They are my babies and its going to be very hard to let them go :(
That's an impressive list and unfortunately I would agree with everyone here so far that your best bet would be sell and start over. I think the clown may be safe (?) and the mushrooms and rock nems but everything else would be just too much effort for a small chance of success.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all sad news and not what I was expecting.
Thanks everyone for your advice!
I guess I could always ask my LFS if they could hold my fish and ship them to me once I get a new tank setup. But I don’t know how expensive that would be. ((Very likely cheaper than the cost of the fish))
You guys think I could give them my corals and ask for them to ship my fish in exchange?

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock:
- chainlink eel
-lemonpeel angel
-sailfin tang
-scopas tang
-mochavinci clown
-fairy wrasse
-bluestar leopard wrasse
-pink spot goby
-mandarin goby
-starry blenny
-sandsifting star
-blue tuxedo urchin

Corals:
-chalice
-frogspawn
-hammer
-lepto
-rockflower nem
-maze brain
-candycane
-bubble coral
-mushrooms

You can take the risk of them dying or surviving the long trip or sell them knowing you can get them all over again. But something like that oofff. I get anxious just driving them 20 mins from my LFS to home.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the biggest thing would be if you’re attached to anything in particular. If you are, I’d try my hardest to keep it. If not, meh just buy new. If there’s a particular coral, you could try selling at a discount to a local reefer with the exchange of shipping a frag to you once you’re set up.

Your LFS may be willing to keep and ship it all (fish and corals) to you. The cost of shipping has got to be less than buying everything new. The only issue you’d run into is possible shipping delays.

I’ve taken corals on a 12 hour drive and didn’t have any issues but that was no overnight stops or anything like that.

The only other thing is if your LFS charges for “storage” if it’s taking up space in their sale tanks, might be an expense if it takes too long to get set back up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back