1/8 inch glass

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been very hard to find a tank that is 30x12x6 without costing over 100-200 dollars. I find that insane for a 10 gallon. Glass sheets are also crazy expensive to buy online.
However at Home Depot, they have 1/8 or .125 inch glass sheets for cheap. Is it possible to use this thickness at a short height of 6 inches (water height will be at 5 in), or will it still burst?
If there are other suggestions, please write down below, I have been looking everywhere for this tank.
If it doesn't work and there is no other suggestion, I plan to use a storage tote, which I do not like aesthetically.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried about using glass that thin for a frag tank. It would probably hold the water fine, but probably break at some point when you're in there working and bump into the glass, especially if it's rimless. I had a DIY sump with 1/8" glass baffles, and managed to crack all of them over time just moving stuff around in the sump.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a short tank, only being 6 inches tall since there is little space between in my racking system. Being six inches tall would give me room to put light in and manage it.
I thought 1/8 inch glass would be fragile but I just found out that my standard ten gallons are 1/8 inch, so this should work hypothetically if I am careful?

Last edited:

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long and wide are looking for? I got a 16x16x6 frag tank off Ebay for $135 shipped. Not sure how big you are looking to go but this was a nicely made little tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more inclined to use 1/4" acrylic if you were having difficulty sourcing glass

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely you have a local glass shop. Get them the dimensions you need and they can cut the glass for you. All you need to is silicone it together. Much sturdier tank.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out" Aquatic Eco Systems " they have "lot" of differing sized tanks. containers etc.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I wouldnt do it. I used the 1/8 glass sheets from lowes for baffles. They're super thin and fragile. You'll constantly be worried about cracking it. I cracked one a little too easy.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my glass shop and a 30x12 1/8" glass sheet cost $30. Thats the same price of a 20 gallon at petsmart without the dollar per gallon sale. Imagine if the sheet was 1/4", the price would be a lot more. And this is for only one sheet. Is there anyone who can source me a 30x12x6 10 gallon aquarium?

If someone in the Chicago area has remaining glass sheets that I can buy off, please PM me. I know how to cut glass so it doesn't matter if it is exact size. If there is anyone with the aquarium I want and willing to sell it, I would gladly buy it off from you. I really need this tank, but I also went over budget with my new 700 gallon build so money is limited.

Last edited:

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just buy a 29 gallon to start with? You can take it apart and cut the glass down and then reuse the frame so you don't have to worry about bumping it.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you remove all of the old silicone you'll be fine just get the glass cut if that's your concern. It's just like resealing a tank just with cutting it down to half the size.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back