Grow Out Tank

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been "collecting" small frag tanks for about a year and operating solely on frequent water changes. I happened to be at my lfs and noticed what I thought would make a good grow out tank. I am in central PA close to That Fish Place. Not quite what it used to be but still good to have in your back yard, but no WWC or anything... So I grabbed this tank about 6 months ago and have slowly started piecing it together... This is a Deep Blue rimless 60 gallon. 48x24x12 deep...

20180127_135815.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't like the stand so I started something that gave me more room underneath to stuff equipment and room to work. I kind of like the open feel and allows to get at things easier. This is set up in my finished basement where there is little to no traffic. Simple 2x4 and grabbed some 1/4 inch textured abs plastic sheet to cover surfaces. Also used some industrial leg levelers to help adjust to my 1930 floor.. They are 3" on the floor and rated up to 3000 lbs. Came from GabrielGlides.com if interested.
20180714_152928.jpg
20180715_110340.jpg
20180714_153011.jpg
20180714_182839.jpg
20180714_182859.jpg

Last edited:

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start @Reefing-Around !
Love those 60's, and a foresee a couple of those in my future as well for a basement build.
I can appreciate a grow-out/frag system, as that's all that interests me at this time.
Keep it up, and keep us plugged-in!

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180812_122555.jpg
Was kicking lighting options around as I have plans for other builds and parts, pieces, and equipment everywhere. Had some AI Primes and also a few Radion XR15 Pro's (latest gen) and decided to go with 2 of the XR15's and a 36" T5 Retro fit (all from BRS) in a custom hood. Figured even with a 48" long tank, only 12" deep, this will be plenty of coverage and allow for some soft spots for those that don't require so much. XR15's have the diffusers as pictured.. Hoping this will be enough. Also currently burning the T5's in..

Got some aluminum stock to mount XR15's to and then mounted to the hood. The retro fit was pretty straight forward.

20180721_174521.jpg

20180721_173339.jpg

20180812_122539.jpg

20180807_213954.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start @Reefing-Around !
Love those 60's, and a foresee a couple of those in my future as well for a basement build.
I can appreciate a grow-out/frag system, as that's all that interests me at this time.
Keep it up, and keep us plugged-in!

Thanks. Thinking of turning the whole basement into a big tank room.... Don't tell my wife.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the perfect spot for one of those, or a lowboy 50. Just have to get my DT flowing and some corals growing before I can justify a grow out tank.

5b3c8d01cb6a2f93fb7369ddce418b55.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really an AIO. Already have the sump which you can actually see in the pic with the t5's burning. It's a BioTek Marine Bio 36. I really like the way their sumps look. I have two others from them in the Marine Tek series. I also have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 sitting in there. Never used one but got great reviews, price was right, low power consumption, and very small footprint. I have a new Vertex Omega 130 I can throw in if I don't like the BM...
20180812_210952.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on some plumbing to tie together. Feels like my 10th order from BRS for plumbing. Not that i'm in a hurry, but you should put the plumbing plans on paper and do some basic math to make sure you have what you need.

You can get it at the big box hardware store, unless your looking at colored plumbing. I tried to mock everything with white pvc to know cuts and quantities, but still fell short a few times. Anything worth doing is worth doing the way you want it, take your time on the plumbing...

I am sure everyone has lived and learned this one!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final plumbing shipment is due in tomorrow. Should have everything plumbed this weekend..

Quick run down of equipment....

-Tank is a 60 gallon Deep Blue rimless 48x24x12
-Sump is a BioTek Bio 36
-Lights are a custom hood with XR15's (Gen4) and doule 36" T5 retro fit.
-Skimmer is a Bubble Magus Curve 5
-Return is a Reef-Octo Varios 4
-1K Gyre for water movement (may have to add additional)
-Tunze Osmolator for ATO out of a Trigger 10 gal crytal container
-New Neptune Apex (was saving for a larger build,,, oh well)
-Just picked up a Zetlight E200s refugoum light

Still on the fence for heaters.. Looking to get 2x 300-500 watt titanium heaters.

Have an older doser, never used. Planning to dose kalkwasser and some Red Sea products..

Also thinking of getting an electrician to run a dedicated breaker before adding watter. Been reading some discussion that are making me nervous...

I also see some folks getting the new, smaller roller filters. Been looking at the manual Clarisea for a while but can only get from UK off of Ebay.

Now auto versions of both Clarisea and Klir by Coralvue are available, or soon to be and thinking it would be nice to not have socks to deal with. Still like the manual version of the Clarisea as a motor in the sump that is not sealed/submerged scares me... Time and $$ will tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As luck would have it, UPS delivered a package today with a slight hole in the end of a thin, long box. Said box happened to be my last piece of black return line I was waiting for to complete plumbing. Box was empty.... Appears that a 3/4" piece of black pvc slipped out. As always, BRS stepped up and re-shipped at no cost.

Out of frustration, I went into the basement to glue some of the Cepex valves and screwed that up as well. There goes yet another BRS order. As I mentioned earlier, try to plan EVERYTHING out in advance. You know the old saying, measure twice, cut once. Measure 4 times and just before you cut, measure 2 more times......

Looks like no plumbing until next week. Will be a long weekend..

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All plumbing is now complete minus silicone from pump to hard line. It's been glued for over a week now.

Waiting to get all the electrics together and build a control board for apex and the rest of the gang.

I also got a small battery backup I am going to try to install in the event of a power outage. I am hoping I can set it up so that the apex will be able to get a text/email out to let me know the power is out. You have to also ensure you keep your internet up on battery as well.

Ordered some Marine Pure (block and spheres) as I am unsure if my rock will be ready. I did a week long bleach to kill EVERYTHING! Doing multiple ro/di baths for the last week.

Trading out a 1K Icecap Gyre for a 3K which is on the way. Figured the 1K was too small and will end up in a 20 gallon clown breeder (not breeding)...

Taking an mp10 out of the 20 gallon to blow across the bottom as well to make sure nothing is settling. This will be my first bare bottom aside from my small 8 and 5 gallon frag tanks.

Lastly, picked up an OCTO Aquatics, double magnetic, heater holder. I think is going to fit the bill. Holds two titanium heaters without issues.

Should see some water by this weekend, hopefully. Still have a couple Apex pieces to pickup (breakout, leak detection, etc.) but planning water this weekend.
20180911_182409.jpg
20180911_180753.jpg
20180911_180804.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other note, got a dedicated circuit installed just for the tank. Now I don't need to worry about my wife vacuuming down there.... That was about $100 in central PA...

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180926_220625.jpg
OK, this weekend I should have water... I know I have said this a couple times now, but looking pretty good now.

Most electric is routed and as seen in the pics, I have some mess to figure out. I will more than likely do a temporary mounting board for controls to get up and running and work a permanent one in the mean time.

Couple pics of my sump with the Zetlight burning at about 45%.. Also all my power bricks mounted behind and out of sight. You can also see the mess of wires and controls I still need to sort along with Apex and other items I still need to install.

I can at least get water going here soon while working the rest. I have a small coral order coming tomorrow from last weekends Jason Fox auction. I am running out of room in my frag tank!!!!

20180926_220640.jpg

20180926_220651.jpg

20180926_220709.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing-Around

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... Started water over 2 months ago and let it sit for quite some time.. Had been traveling from central Pennsylvania to Cincinnati for a couple months as my father was battling stage 4 cancer. Almost took everything down all together..

With the help of my wife, we managed to keep the tanks going. Would probably have been more difficult to break them down the keep em running anyway.

I am guessing the rock was not as "cycled" as the store claimed as I have dealt with some really high nitrates. I have kept a healthy level of bacteria going so pretty sure it has helped with ammonia and nitrites. Still having some minor diatoms here and there but starting to really settle down. Also had a nitrate test kit that was way off, which didn't help matters.

Guessing 30 pounds of rock in the display and the big block of Marine Pure in my sump, should help to keep everything in check. Mainly frags only so will keep a healthy water change routine.. Only fish will be workers..

Speaking of, added a Six Line, and small Yellow, and Scopas Tangs a couple weeks ago. Believe the tangs were a very recent shipment and the yellow did not make it past a couple days. :( Scopas and Six Line are still kicking and enjoying the space.

Still need to dial in Apex control board. Need to either mount or build permanent board, think I need or would like another Apex EB832. Like the ability to monitor and much more controlability (if this is a word)... Couple items are attached but not hooked up yet. Apex breakout will be wired with a doorbell for feed mode and some two and three way toggles for quick overrides on lights, skimmer, and pumps.

More to come but was overdue an update...
20181122_112146.jpg
20181122_112159.jpg
20181223_094216.jpg
20181122_112205.jpg
20181122_112628.jpg

Last edited:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back