1 Clownfish Won't Eat

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is, that's why I don't feed that much normally, but on the days my other fish don't want as much or I accidentally add too much that is what I've observed it doing. Everyone treats their tanks differently aswell. I know that adding that much to my tank won't cause a nutrient spike, and I feed the smallest pellet size I can find
You will find also alot of conflicting information online about how much and how often to feed fish, it really comes down to what works best for you and your tank once your fish is healthy and eating properly.
I have a friend that feeds twice a day and another that feeds every other day, both have happy healthy tanks

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since Vwluv10338 mentioned the white stringy poop I have been on the lookout. Just now I watched the male poop and it was white (could just be because of the light on my tank though, I am getting a new light because I have the Fluval Evo 13.5 and it is just a white spectrum light) but it also stuck on him for like 5 seconds. It doesn't look stringy like some videos I have been watching, but now I am a bit suspicious.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since Vwluv10338 mentioned the white stringy poop I have been on the lookout. Just now I watched the male poop and it was white (could just be because of the light on my tank though, I am getting a new light because I have the Fluval Evo 13.5 and it is just a white spectrum light) but it also stuck on him for like 5 seconds. It doesn't look stringy like some videos I have been watching, but now I am a bit suspicious.
May be worth quarantine and treatment just to be sure if it happens again. Keep and eye on it and if it is definitely white and stringy then I would treat for internal parasite's

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could explain the eating issue somewhat aswell, when one of my clowns had parasite's when I first got the pair (bought a bonded pair) it didn't eat very well. I treated both for parasite's and it didn't stop eating after, still took time to wean into pellet food though.
Still recommend getting some frozen brine to make sure it's eating

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could explain the eating issue somewhat aswell, when one of my clowns had parasite's when I first got the pair (bought a bonded pair) it didn't eat very well. I treated both for parasite's and it didn't stop eating after, still took time to wean into pellet food though.
Still recommend getting some frozen brine to make sure it's eating
Could I do the treatment for both of them in the tank they are both in currently? I don't have a quarantine tank currently. Also before I do any medication or such I am going to get some brine shrimp and watch the poop just to make sure the parasites are the problem.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do the treatment for both of them in the tank they are both in currently? I don't have a quarantine tank currently. Also before I do any medication or such I am going to get some brine shrimp and watch the poop just to make sure the parasites are the problem.
Sounds like a plan. In regards to treatment it depends on what you use to treat really and what else is in the tank. I don't know where in the world you are, I'm in the uk and have had great success with nt labs anti fluke and wormer but this can't be used in a tank with inverts. If you use it in a fish only with no inverts or coral then yes you can treat both with it. If you don't have a tank like this you will need to look at alternative methods of treatment.
Best of luck, keep us updated

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. In regards to treatment it depends on what you use to treat really and what else is in the tank. I don't know where in the world you are, I'm in the uk and have had great success with nt labs anti fluke and wormer but this can't be used in a tank with inverts. If you use it in a fish only with no inverts or coral then yes you can treat both with it. If you don't have a tank like this you will need to look at alternative methods of treatment.
Best of luck, keep us updated
I am in the US. My tank is a reef tank and currently has a few corals and some inverts.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the US. My tank is a reef tank and currently has a few corals and some inverts.
I'm not the best person then about treatments avalible in the us but I'm sure if you decide it is parasite's someone on here will be able to help you. Hopefully it will eat the brine shrimp and you won't need to treat it for anything.
Best of luck and hope everything works out well

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the best person then about treatments avalible in the us but I'm sure if you decide it is parasite's someone on here will be able to help you. Hopefully it will eat the brine shrimp and you won't need to treat it for anything.
Best of luck and hope everything works out well
Thanks for all of your help!

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some great news. I fed my pellets one last time to the clowns just to see what would happen today, and I have great news. The male actually ate like 5 pellets! I think they just needed time to get used to the tank. Should I still get the brine or no?

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some great news. I fed my pellets one last time to the clowns just to see what would happen today, and I have great news. The male actually ate like 5 pellets! I think they just needed time to get used to the tank. Should I still get the brine or no?
That's great news. If you are happy with the amount that it is eating then it isn't necessary to buy the brine shrimp. You might want to in the future for a varied diet but it is by no means essential if they are happy and healthy. Congratulations on the success

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

great news, yes get some mysis and some brine, good to have a mix of food.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes get some frozen food because it’s a great idea to be feeding a variety any way you look at it. All my fish eat 4 different things a day

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back