1" Loc line?

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm confused. I'm plumbing two 1" returns back to my 210 gallon tank. This seems to be pretty standard from what I've read here. I drilled and installed two 1" bulkheads that are threaded on the flange side so I can screw in loc lines. However now that I'm looking at loc lines, all I see are 1/2" and 3/4" fittings. I don't understand why there aren't 1" fittings to screw into the bulkhead. What am I missing?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, 1" locline does not exist. I don't know why. You can buy 1" RFG from Vivid aquatics.

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the returns have to be reduced down to 3/4" at the very end, why in the world would you plumb the returns with 1" pipe? I guess the answer would be don't... but there are a lot of builds here where the returns are 1".

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, 1" locline does not exist. I don't know why. You can buy 1" RFG from Vivid aquatics.

So this seems like a solution. Thanks. The drawback is that it will be less flexible in terms of directing the return flow into the tank?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase 1" "Modular line" from Vivid Creative Aquatics. It's the exact same thing as locline just with a different name...

Nice! didn't know that existed. I will say that they don't seem to click together as tightly as loc-line...at least not what I bought with the RFG and the male "locline" piece. It would easily pop loose. Does the vivid version stick together well like real "locline?" If so, I'll have to give it a try.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some others have pointed out - Loc-line (the brand) does not come in a 1in size. Just the 1/4in, 1/2in 3/4in sizes.

As linked above - we do have a 1in Jumbo Modular hose system that we sourced out, that includes the modular hose, a 1in to 3/4in Y reducer (the 3/4in side of the Y is Loc-Line compatible) and a 1in MPT fitting. We also manufacture a 1-1in Y fitting.

I also want to point out that the 1in hose actually has a slightly smaller than 1in ID, while the 1in MPT has a full 1in ID

Also- the 1in RFGS100LPL Random Flow Generator® Nozzle that comes with the 1in MPT fitting, now include a single segment of the 1in Hose - both for more flexibility, but also for a more consistent fit between the RFG and the the MPT fitting.

If you have any questions i can answer - just let me know.

SirReefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm confused. I'm plumbing two 1" returns back to my 210 gallon tank. This seems to be pretty standard from what I've read here. I drilled and installed two 1" bulkheads that are threaded on the flange side so I can screw in loc lines. However now that I'm looking at loc lines, all I see are 1/2" and 3/4" fittings. I don't understand why there aren't 1" fittings to screw into the bulkhead. What am I missing?
To start with: (In That Particular Tank-Size Range), I typically use(d) sch-40 (flex) 1/2"I.D. RETURN-Lines.. Controlled by (Easily Accessible) sch-40 1/2" Ball-Valves.. Using addtl. 1/2" ball-valves, combined with 1/2"CHECK-Valves & unions (or sch.80 'quick-disconnect' ball-valves, located as close as possible to the bulkheads, (leaving adequate room for removal).. The only variation may be the use of 3/4" bulkheads (w/reducer bushings)..
So if the returns have to be reduced down to 3/4" at the very end, why in the world would you plumb the returns with 1" pipe? I guess the answer would be don't... but there are a lot of builds here where the returns are 1".

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i did is reduce from 11/4" to a 3/4" Locking 'Y' fitting. I have 4, 3/4" lines supplying water to the DT.

SirReefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeas.. Regardless of tank size.. One (or Multiple) returns should (IMO) ALL be 1/2"ID in size.. Whereas ALL drains.. Even if multiple drains are required.. Should be in the 1"- 1-1/4" or 1-1/2"..

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 1 inch returns too. Easiest solution is to take a 1 inch wye fitting and reducing both output sides to 3/4 or 1/2 inch depending on what you want to do. I was able to find a 1 inch to dual 3/4 inch wye fitting online somewhere, but I'm not having any luck tracking it down.
P_20200914_204322_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys adjust your RFG's so they fit a little snugger on the locline fittings? Mine, just like @Gablami Are a touch loose, which can make them a little difficult to adjust and keep a snug fit.
hi Josh,

We have designed the RFG to be easy to snap on and off, so they wont be quite as tight or difficult to deal with as the actual loc-line. With that said, they shod be snug enough to stay in position and should not fall off.

So as not to derail this thread - shoot me a PM and let's figure out what going on with your RFGs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back