1) What might this red stuff be? 2) Another Clown/Nem ?

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
1). New to the hobby and I have this red stuff growing on a piece of my live rock. It is getting larger.

2) I have two skunk clowns and a BTA. The BTA has taken up on the glass right beneath where my clowns have settled in. They keep looking and looking but wont go in. Has been about 4 days.
Help much appreciated.

BEF74336-30F7-4634-BB28-E3382580E73D.jpeg 81BE42FB-032C-40D6-AAA9-3999F545F6B8.jpeg 2DA9055C-3649-48AE-AF7D-7AFB89AB26C5.jpeg image.jpg

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's growing there but I do know that some clowns will never take to an anemone. Mine still haven't and had a bta for over 4 years.

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The guy at the fish store said the skunks were wild caught and hence “guaranteed” to take to an anemone.

Maybe the nem is a bit small yet for both of them or maybe it is a “watched pot doesnt boil” sort of thing.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sponge of some variety.

As far as hosting, it takes time. Sometimes it is the type of clown vs. type of anemone. Certain species take more readily to others. Just wait and see, I am not into the idea of forcing them into each other. That is just unnecessary stress IMO. It is awesome when it happens! :D

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be sponge growing, or something hard that was already there, did it just pop up or was it there when you got the rock? Was it dry rock? Also how old is this system? It looks new. As for the clowns, that can take time. I've had clowns go into anemones very quickly and some that took close to 6 months.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The guy at the fish store said the skunks were wild caught and hence “guaranteed” to take to an anemone.

Maybe the nem is a bit small yet for both of them or maybe it is a “watched pot doesnt boil” sort of thing.
I feel your FS dude should be smacked upside the head...lol there are NO "guarantees" in nature. Living things do what they do.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your FS dude should be smacked upside the head...lol there are NO "guarantees" in nature. Living things do what they do.

I agree. He's also selling wild clowns, pretty irresponsible. There's also a huge chance they'll have Brooklynella...

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be sponge growing, or something hard that was already there, did it just pop up or was it there when you got the rock? Was it dry rock? Also how old is this system? It looks new. As for the clowns, that can take time. I've had clowns go into anemones very quickly and some that took close to 6 months.

It was on the rock when I bought it. It was live rock. The system is only just over a month old.

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. He's also selling wild clowns, pretty irresponsible. There's also a huge chance they'll have Brooklynella...

This was VERY likely since I got 2 Oscellaris the day before that died of Brook overnight. They gave me my money back and I got these skunks. I immediately treated the tank and treated the skunks when I got them. Five days later and no sign of disease on them.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you treat the tank with? I'm not aware of any "reef safe" drug or chemical that will kill Brooklynella. Also what did you treat the skunks with?

Your system is quite young, it's hit or miss whether this nem will be okay or not as there is still a lot going on as your system matures. Try to keep everything as stable as possible.

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you treat the tank with? I'm not aware of any "reef safe" drug or chemical that will kill Brooklynella. Also what did you treat the skunks with?

Your system is quite young, it's hit or miss whether this nem will be okay or not as there is still a lot going on as your system matures. Try to keep everything as stable as possible.

I treated the tank with a half strength dose of nirtrofurazone/potassium dichromate. I don't have any sensitive corals yet so nothing died.

I let the skunks sit in a solution of the same for a while before i introduced them and it seemed to work.

This was all 5 days ago.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back