10 day QT for medication question

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read general cure is safe to use with chloroquine phosphate and am wondering if I were to do a 10 day qt with general cure for flukes and internal parasites (soaked food w GC+focus+vitamins and putting GC in the water) and ran chrloquine phosphate at the same time for 10 days aslong as I redose the general cure into the water on day 5 this should cover all bases right? anyone tried this? I’ve been searching for a way to make QT as quick as possible not for my own impatience but because the less stress on a fish the more chance it has to live and fish are priceyyyyy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read general cure is safe to use with chloroquine phosphate and am wondering if I were to do a 10 day qt with general cure for flukes and internal parasites (soaked food w GC+focus+vitamins and putting GC in the water) and ran chrloquine phosphate at the same time for 10 days aslong as I redose the general cure into the water on day 5 this should cover all bases right? anyone tried this? I’ve been searching for a way to make QT as quick as possible not for my own impatience but because the less stress on a fish the more chance it has to live and fish are priceyyyyy.

I don’t recall ever mixing GC with chloroquine. Why do you want to use chloroquine? It has more of a chance for side effects than coppersafe or copper power does.

Do not use General Cure orally! You cannot get the oral dose correct because it contains two different medications that are dosed differently. Just use GC in the water.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not mix general cure (praziquantel and metronidazole) with chloroquine sulphate - all of these medications carry toxicity, and its nearly impossible to correctly dose medication with food 1) one doesn't know how much food the fish is eating. 2) the food may not be completely mixed with food. 3). The dosages are quite small.

I think the best QT would be to use the one recommded in the Fish and disease forum on this site.

There is no (clear) way to make QT easier or faster using these medications.

EDIT @Jay Hemdal - we must have been typing at the same time:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t recall ever mixing GC with chloroquine. Why do you want to use chloroquine? It has more of a chance for side effects than coppersafe or copper power does.

Do not use General Cure orally! You cannot get the oral dose correct because it contains two different medications that are dosed differently. Just use GC in the water.

Jay
I assume he was using chloroquine for Ich/velvet - but unknown.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
hi jay thank you for the reply. i am now aware dosing medication in food is not easy at all! i will avoid doing that in my adventures i was mislead by a few people i generally trust the advice of at my favorite fish shop but you are totally right its very unpredictable and you cant control how much food a fish eats so some could OD and others could get a dose thats to low even if i dosed it right into the food. thank you for the clarification on my question. is general cure just something i shouldnt bother with if i have the option to use metroplex and prazi pro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi jay thank you for the reply. i am now aware dosing medication in food is not easy at all! i will avoid doing that in my adventures i was mislead by a few people i generally trust the advice of at my favorite fish shop but you are totally right its very unpredictable and you cant control how much food a fish eats so some could OD and others could get a dose thats to low even if i dosed it right into the food. thank you for the clarification on my question. is general cure just something i shouldnt bother with if i have the option to use metroplex and prazi pro?

GC is fine to use in water, just not in food. Metroplex can be used in food at 1 to 2% by weight. Prazipro cannot be used in food due to the solvent. If you can get praziquantel powder, the dose in food is 50 mg per kg of fish weight. We have documents and calculators here if you want to do that.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back