10 gallon bta only tank

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 10 gallon bta tank, hoping to fill it up with lots of bta and splits to spread the love of bta. ATM using a kessil 160we 6inches above water. Current bta are 4 rainbow , 1 black widow, and possibly sunburst. There’s some zoa frags, a gsp, Xenia, and a dragon tongue algae. I have external refugium with Chaeto. There’s a ocean brand protein shimmer. IF you are experienced with bta only tank give me some tips. Thanks.
35AA8A44-8102-440E-AAF9-615C8FCBFA24.jpeg

FD88A7E1-5120-4017-95E0-66A4AFB3D57C.jpeg

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Bta tanks are beautiful, I had a 60 cube nem tank going. They're nice because you can use the nems to hold back other invasive algae like xenia or gsp

Its instinctive to try to find balance for the likings of both coral and nems, but odds are itll be hard to satisfy both so try to satisfy the nems and just let the coral fill in where they do
20200514_131231.jpg

And constant feeding of nems makes them bigger and fluffier
20200514_134225.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With proper lighting and conditions, they’ll split periodically.
Focus on good water quality, adequate lighting and moderate water flow with occasional feedings and you’re well on your way

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for the tip. Any tip for nem splitting?
That depends on the nem strain. In the same tank, i had 2 different strains of nems. One split every week and got annoying (which is the one I just let go wild in the nem cube) and the other never really split (big bubbly in my 2nd pic) both in the same conditions. My tank had a week where my skimmer was offline and in that period, big bubbly ended up splitting into 3.

Just feed them, keep them happy, and they'll split for you. Or if you're local I can give you one of the fast splitting ones if you just wanna fill it up.

OP
OP
ThePhoReefer

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on the nem strain. In the same tank, i had 2 different strains of nems. One split every week and got annoying (which is the one I just let go wild in the nem cube) and the other never really split (big bubbly in my 2nd pic) both in the same conditions. My tank had a week where my skimmer was offline and in that period, big bubbly ended up splitting into 3.

Just feed them, keep them happy, and they'll split for you. Or if you're local I can give you one of the fast splitting ones if you just wanna fill it up.
I’m in San Jose CA

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back