~10 Year old Bangaii, looking near death, please advise

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’ve had this bangaii for a very long time, I forget exactly when I got him, and he’s always thrived in my system. Sometime within the past two weeks if I had to guess his poop shoot looks like it’s been eaten away possibly by my cleaner shrimp. It’s behavior isn’t really changed and it’s still eating, but there’s visible flesh loss so I think rectal prolapse is off the table. There is a strand coming out but I can’t tell if it’s flesh, a worm, chaeto, maybe even impacted dog hair from my huskys, can’t tell. Should I monitor and be prepared to pull it out once it dies as it’s survival looks pretty slim with the discoloration around the open wound. Or should I try to capture and place in a hospital tank? It’s very difficult to capture as I’ve tried already, it’s sad to see ol boy go but at ten years I’m not sure how much I can do for him, and if moving to a hospital and treating with meds just wouldn’t be worth the squeeze given condition and age. Thanks

IMG_8195.jpeg IMG_8193.jpeg IMG_8192.jpeg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their lifespan is the shortest out of all the fish we keep, around 5 years or less. You did a great job because I can only get about 5 or 6 years out of them. There is nothing you can do for him.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on having the fish that long!!! I'm not sure how to interpret the pictures - except to say - I would let it be? if you want to pull the item out - it probably won't hurt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may re-assure you:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, I’ve had this bangaii for a very long time, I forget exactly when I got him, and he’s always thrived in my system. Sometime within the past two weeks if I had to guess his poop shoot looks like it’s been eaten away possibly by my cleaner shrimp. It’s behavior isn’t really changed and it’s still eating, but there’s visible flesh loss so I think rectal prolapse is off the table. There is a strand coming out but I can’t tell if it’s flesh, a worm, chaeto, maybe even impacted dog hair from my huskys, can’t tell. Should I monitor and be prepared to pull it out once it dies as it’s survival looks pretty slim with the discoloration around the open wound. Or should I try to capture and place in a hospital tank? It’s very difficult to capture as I’ve tried already, it’s sad to see ol boy go but at ten years I’m not sure how much I can do for him, and if moving to a hospital and treating with meds just wouldn’t be worth the squeeze given condition and age. Thanks

IMG_8195.jpeg IMG_8193.jpeg IMG_8192.jpeg
I addition to would, pics are dark but appears to be rectal prolapse and fish may be moribund and will likely not swim nor eat normal at this point but im also astonished at its ability to exceed its lifespan by double.
It would be worth another one before any bans take place which will be announced October 16th

OP
OP
Vermontreefer

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I addition to would, pics are dark but appears to be rectal prolapse and fish may be moribund and will likely not swim nor eat normal at this point but im also astonished at its ability to exceed its lifespan by double.
It would be worth another one before any bans take place which will be announced October 16th
Gotcha yeah I unfortunately expect his time to come rather soon it’s definitely not a great looking wound. Also looks like it could have prolapsed at some point and then was possibly picked at? Who knows.

As far as it’s lifespan goes I’ve also been impressed. It was in my bio cube around 2013/2014, made the transfer to my 75g in 2018, and just within the past month this issue has flared up. I only say month because I can’t pinpoint exactly when it came on, but most likely within the past week and a half. It has always done best solo, I tried to add a couple smaller ones to school them up and they did not make it assuming due to aggression, never saw it though

OP
OP
Vermontreefer

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to follow up about 15 minutes ago I checked the tank and it was dead. Really crazy how fast from onset to death the whole ordeal was

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just to follow up about 15 minutes ago I checked the tank and it was dead. Really crazy how fast from onset to death the whole ordeal was
Sorry and unfortunate
Once moribund, often there’s no turning back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back