100% BRS Reef Saver rock 'tanks'

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just giving my experience on reefsaver. If I'm not mistaken brs says it's safe to use but recommends curing
I much rather would have used Pukani but have read about its constant PO leeching, then again I did use a mix of cured Fiji rock 30%, pukani 15%, and reefsaver 55%. 'My Pukani rock I've had sitting outside for 6years so confident it's cured.
By the looks of my low phosphates leveled I would be ok with a slight amount of phosphates.

If your planning on curing why not get the Pukani rock? Much easier to cut and aquascspe then any other rock.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just giving my experience on reefsaver. If I'm not mistaken brs says it's safe to use but recommends curing
I much rather would have used Pukani but have read about its constant PO leeching, then again I did use a mix of cured Fiji rock 30%, pukani 15%, and reefsaver 55%. 'My Pukani rock I've had sitting outside for 6years so confident it's cured.
By the looks of my low phosphates leveled I would be ok with a slight amount of phosphates.

If your planning on curing why not get the Pukani rock? Much easier to cut and aquascspe then any other rock.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got dead rock so not quite the same but I cleaned it with the hose and it has been soaking in rodi for several months now and I've done 3 100% WC in that time. I use LaCl to remove po4 and my nutrients are finally settling at 0.00ppm po4 and 5ppm nitrates. Time to do one more WC and add salt.

I'm in no rush though since i still have to add a new circuit for my 93 cube before setting it up so that rock will cure for 3-4 more months before use.

Did much the same process for my 60 cube. Used rock from my nano plus the cured rock and it is progressing nicely with no nutrient issues. Actually have to feed heavier than i normally would to not starve my corals

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey man! It's been a while now since you started using your brs reef saver rock. How's it going? Has it been pretty clean, not leaching out junk?

I'm about to restart my tank with a bunch of it and don't know if I just need to rinse it off and use it or acid wash it and cure it or what. There is so much conflicting info out there.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man! It's been a while now since you started using your brs reef saver rock. How's it going? Has it been pretty clean, not leaching out junk?

I'm about to restart my tank with a bunch of it and don't know if I just need to rinse it off and use it or acid wash it and cure it or what. There is so much conflicting info out there.

All the Rock I used gave me no problems with nutrients or algae issues. Since others rocks are not available I would only recommend Marco rock as a foundation given its the only porous rock available. I have added Real reef tonga, and caribsea shapes in the tank and its great for coral placement but serves no biological filtration - Its just cement poured in cast and can't imagine why anyone would put 100% of man made rock in the tank. Real reef may have made a good rock but the price is outrageous to me I spend like $13/LB for their tonga.

I am going to be setting up a 400 gallon and have 150 LB on large Tonga base and branch rock, 20 LB of Pukani and Fiji, 50LB of haitian rock. The rock is so big I don't have to get that creative but I like natural rock since I can drill it without issue. Reef saver rock I had to take a hammer and chisel and out of 10 pieces got like 2 good structures.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so you're saying that nothing grows on the reef saver and it provides no biological filtration at all? Is it still white?

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the Rock I used gave me no problems with nutrients or algae issues. Since others rocks are not available I would only recommend Marco rock as a foundation given its the only porous rock available. I have added Real reef tonga, and caribsea shapes in the tank and its great for coral placement but serves no biological filtration - Its just cement poured in cast and can't imagine why anyone would put 100% of man made rock in the tank. Real reef may have made a good rock but the price is outrageous to me I spend like $13/LB for their tonga.

I am going to be setting up a 400 gallon and have 150 LB on large Tonga base and branch rock, 20 LB of Pukani and Fiji, 50LB of haitian rock. The rock is so big I don't have to get that creative but I like natural rock since I can drill it without issue. Reef saver rock I had to take a hammer and chisel and out of 10 pieces got like 2 good structures.

Wait, so you're saying that nothing grows on the reef saver and it provides no biological filtration at all? Is it still white?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 mouths apart
Photo_2018-06-19_10-35-53_PM.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef-cleaners rock and that stuff is awesome! Very clean, no need to cure. Great shapes and porous. I do seed it with whatever life I can and it eventually gets covered in worms and sponges and life.

I would still mix it with live rock but most of it is banned soo :)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt have any issues with BRS' reef saver rock leaching any nitrates/phosphates (or any other issues). I used a single piece of fiji live to seed it though.

Three and half years ago
48716679797_0d437ac719_b.jpg

Three days ago
48998588121_0d5a707c39_h.jpg

Last edited:

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt have any issues with BRS' reef saver rock leaching any nitrates/phosphates (or any other issues). I used a single piece of fiji live to see it though.

Three and half years ago
48716679797_0d437ac719_b.jpg

Three days ago
48998588121_0d5a707c39_h.jpg

Holy cow, that's nuts! Very good to hear! What size tank is pictured here?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 75g with about 50lbs of the reef saver rock (the link in my signature has details on the setup if you want to know more).

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tearing down the tank. There was a major learning curve on aquasca
Awesome looking tank man! That makes me feel better. Can't wait to get it in my tank and cycling.

Thanks, and Thanks for bringing this thread back alive. 2 years ago there was alot of option of dry rock now its pretty much Reef saver and vendors getting creative with shelving patterns. Which I think are very cool.

Last edited:

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For another option, check out Arcreef.com I'm using their dry rock and it's awesome. According to them, it does not need to be cured... which is why I purchased it.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% needs to be cured. My current batch was started in January and finished in august. Ran with GFO to remove the phosphates that leeched. Realistically it was prob ready after 60-90 days but I wasn’t so I just let it soak.

Edit: just saw this thread was brought back from the dead. Sorry!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back