100% BRS Reef Saver rock 'tanks'

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% needs to be cured. My current batch was started in January and finished in august. Ran with GFO to remove the phosphates that leeched. Realistically it was prob ready after 60-90 days but I wasn’t so I just let it soak.

Edit: just saw this thread was brought back from the dead. Sorry!

You must have had a dead mouse in the rock.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reef saver rock leaches a ton of phosphate so curing is a must.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in, What is man made and what is mined from buried dead reefs ? I always believed the natural rock(mined) was free of phosphates ...Just curious

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in, What is man made and what is mined from buried dead reefs ? I always believed the natural rock(mined) was free of phosphates ...Just curious
Reef Saver rock is mined on dry land and I've found it to leach quite a bit of phosphates during curing/cycling. YMMV.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 75g with about 50lbs of the reef saver rock (the link in my signature has details on the setup if you want to know more).
Very nice! My new tank is a 75 gallon with 29 gallon sump. I'm looking forward to the new open door of larger fish options. How does your yellow tang do in the 75? I know it's an "on-the-fence" size tank so I'm still unsure of whether or not I should stick a tang in it.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not well; the tang is fine but the other fish pay the price for it being in the tank. Dont do it is all I'll say; I hate the fish and regret putting it in there because of its aggression.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never registered Phosphates using reef saver but then again I added it to my tank and had a refugium from day 1. I never suspected there where phosphates leeching from the rock as the rock remained white for 3+ months and I was running high PAR

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my whole tank brs reef save rock started. It was one lonely summer day drunk internet shopping starting my reef tank. My wife giving me that glare like I just cooked her cat. I baught my first reef tank excited stacking my online shopping cart full of all the stuff I need. Behold I saw that last ingredient to successfully start my tank. Reef saver rock. I believe my tank is a pretty normal tank started like many others going through the ugly phases. Finaly stable but yet still.. no coraline algae.

FB_IMG_1572978684529.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back