Status
Not open for further replies.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yikes this comes off as very ivory tower. I have solar panels too and net produce except Nov-Feb, but I don't expect or demand everyone else make commitments that are huge financial investments especially with all this temporary inflation.

Agreed.

I wonder where the millions living in apartment buildings in NYC would install the solar panels.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys we are trying to leave this thread open, but the calling each other out over differences of opinions needs to stop. If it does not, we will close this thread. Can we bring the conversation back to the Florida reefs?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was in Florida (gulf side) the week of 4th, nothing seemed out of ordinary.

Water felt cooler than last year in August. There was no red tide and I didn't witness any dead fish floating. Perhaps things have changed rather quickly in past 2 weeks?

Maybe the APEX heater outlet got stuck? Who knows.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water felt cooler than last year in August. There was no red tide and I didn't witness any dead fish floating. Perhaps things have changed rather quickly in past 2 weeks?

I learned that lesson many years ago! I had a heater break and wipe my tank out.. I’ve never used one since and just let tank go up and down and do what it do and have no problems with fluctuations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

I wonder where the millions living in apartment buildings in NYC would install the solar panels.

One can always make fun of ideas, without really thinking at all.

Maybe those same residents should each have a coal fired power generating plant in their home?

Obviously electricity generation and users need not always be colocated.

That's the beauty of a distribution system.

The billions of acres of unused land can be used perfectly well. There are many such solar farms near me. I'm not fan of their look, but it's better than a belching smoke stack.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes this comes off as very ivory tower. I have solar panels too and net produce except Nov-Feb, but I don't expect or demand everyone else make commitments that are huge financial investments especially with all this temporary inflation.

Oh my, how could I be so thoughtless and ivory tower as to think everyone might be able to air condition less. It's a guaranteed right to keep my home at 70 degrees year round, isn't it?

I gave a list of things that include actions everyone can do, some cost zero and save money. Of course I do not expect everyone to do everything on the list.

I'm saying folks should something useful, instead of just being part of the problem. Folks should have their own lists that fit their circumstances.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is right about meat, look up C40 cities - it's all spelled out. There is a website for it, nobody is hiding anything.

There are progressive and ambitious tables of goals that they are trying to achieve. In the ambitious table there would be 0 meat consumption per person/per year, also private car ownership limited to between 0-12% of population.

Plenty of materials for you to read...if you want/care to.

God forbid some people being willing to make changes to their lives for the betterment of community. How dare they!

Private car ownership in cities with 10m people should be something we try to phase out. Why wouldn't we?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

Living in a city is already wildly more efficient - fewer materials and emissions per person.
He is right about meat, look up C40 cities - it's all spelled out. There is a website for it, nobody is hiding anything.
I can't tell if you are being serious or not, so I am just going to ignore that. I hope you are joking, though...

Last edited:

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh my, how could I be so thoughtless and ivory tower as to think everyone might be able to air condition less. It's a guaranteed right to keep my home at 70 degrees year round, isn't it?

I gave a list of things that include actions everyone can do, some cost zero and save money. Of course I do not expect everyone to do everything on the list.

I'm saying folks should something useful, instead of just being part of the problem. Folks should have their own lists that fit their circumstances.
Funny you picked the one item of the two arguably free on your long list and discount the other 95% of your very expensive list to base your reply on. :upside-down-face:

giphy.webp

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you picked the one item of the two arguably free on your long list and discount the other 95% of your very expensive list to base your reply on. :upside-down-face:

giphy.webp
You are literally participating in one of the most expensive and "luxurious" hobbies right now. Get a grip on yourself. Buying a solar panel or 2 wont kill you.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In swfl the blue/green algea is starting to come in pretty strong right now. Starts from discharges from lake O, down the caloosahatchee river into the gulf. Happens every year, some worse than others. This year looks like it might be as bad a 2018 for us. Then the red tide comes in from the open water, thousands and thousands of dead fish wash onshore(this has NOT happened yet this year)

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

giphy.webp

Funny that you ignored his point.

The list Randy gave includes things anyone can do, but also some things that only some can do.

Why wouldn't we try? Are we not a community with a vested interest in keeping reefs happy? If not, then PETA is right and we shouldn't be allowed to keep these animals for vanity reasons.

Judging by the responses in this thread, I wouldn't expect many here to be willing to make any kind of sacrifice for the natural environments you would think they would love (by virtue of being reef keepers). Does make me wonder what motivation some here have for being in this hobby.

I guess meme's and snark is the nice, lazy way out.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

giphy.webp
Seriously?
How about you look again.

Here's my list:

Solar panels (on homes, in fields, on buildings, etc.), electric cars, smaller cars, windmills, pay more for renewable energy, less "perfect" indoor temps, living in less harsh locations, altered diets, leave trees standing on your property instead of creating a giant lawn, replace inefficient appliances, add insulation, the list is quite long.

These cost zero:
smaller cars
less "perfect" indoor temps
living in less harsh locations
altered diets
leave trees standing on your property instead of creating a giant lawn,

these have a low to moderate cost:
replace inefficient appliance
add insulation

This one has a significant cost that may pay itself back
Solar panels

These are not intended for individuals, obviously
windmills

and an electric car depends, obviously, on what alternative gas car it is compared to. Might be more or less.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, guys we tried. Unfortunately, the back and forth hasn't even slowed down. The staff has many things that require our attention and watching this thread is pulling us away from doing things that will serve our community in much better ways. Therefore, we are closing this thread.

Please enjoy some of the other great reef hobby conversations around the site. Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back