Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing any of us do will matter because the two biggest polluters aren't going to stop pumping CO2 and anything else into the oceans - and that's without even talking about all the raw sewage and garbage they spew into the environment (india, china)

But folks can feel free to bootlick the regime that'll keep flying around and eating kobe lobster and whatever else

This post is the unfortunate effect of climate being a hyper object. It’s so large and so complicated that humans are not really built to understand it, our brains just aren’t wired that way.

Unfortunately, taking an “I don’t care” approach will only make things worse. Less support for R&D means lower probability of one day developing the technology we need to curtail the worst consequences.

Its mainly those who will be too old to experience the worst of it who have this attitude, another unfortunate outcome of humans being naturally hardwired to only care about themselves and their nuclear family at this moment.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post is the unfortunate effect of climate being a hyper object. It’s so large and so complicated that humans are not really built to understand it, our brains just aren’t wired that way.

Unfortunately, taking an “I don’t care” approach will only make things worse. Less support for R&D means lower probability of one day developing the technology we need to curtail the worst consequences.

Its mainly those who will be too old to experience the worst of it who have this attitude, another unfortunate outcome of humans being naturally hardwired to only care about themselves and their nuclear family at this moment.

I have a very close family member who has a masters degree in global warming (idk what the degree is actually called) and is literally a global warming scientist and works for the government and companies helping to calculate carbon offsets and develop plans to reduce global warming. His entire career is focused on global warming. Even he tells me that the US and west does more than enough and that it’s places like china and India that basically make everything we do useless in a sense. He says that the world is warming and at this point there is little to nothing we can do to stop it unless other parts of the world step in line.

WAKE UP people, if global warming was that dangerous we would not let the east polute! They are using global warming as a convenient way to strip the freedoms we are given in the west away from us. It’s about power. It’s about depopulation. It’s about a new world order! Ok I’ll take my tinfoil hat off now but seriously look into it!

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Somewhere between “Mine Earth 1st” and “Dolphin Free Tuna” is a reality that all of us contribute to this mess. I really care about the environment but probably won’t walk to the store no matter how hard the guilt trip is. To your point; we are selfish….

Soapbox warning. I do wish there was a FAST/emergency type solution to this coral mortality issue. I don’t think forcing electric Priuses or or solar powered lawn mowers is gonna work legislatively or realistically fast enough; regardless of perceived climate causes.

I believe monetary motivation/capitalism could rescue the reefs (a dual appeal to divisive political beliefs) …Specifically I wish some restrictions could be loosened to allow the mariculture methods we see in the S.Pacific to be duplicated and applied in Florida by us hobbyist to raise our native stony corals.
I wonder how they got that Tampa Bay live rock industry going (legislatively speaking)

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very close family member who has a masters degree in global warming (idk what the degree is actually called) and is literally a global warming scientist and works for the government and companies helping to calculate carbon offsets and develop plans to reduce global warming. His entire career is focused on global warming. Even he tells me that the US and west does more than enough and that it’s places like china and India that basically make everything we do useless in a sense. He says that the world is warming and at this point there is little to nothing we can do to stop it unless other parts of the world step in line.

WAKE UP people, if global warming was that dangerous we would not let the east polute! They are using global warming as a convenient way to strip the freedoms we are given in the west away from us. It’s about power. It’s about depopulation. It’s about a new world order! Ok I’ll take my tinfoil hat off now but seriously look into it!

Can you post their name so we can take a look at some of their peer reviewed papers?

As for "letting the East pollute", the West doesn't have that kind of control. The 2nd and 3rd wold countries are all growing and developing, and the best we can hope for is that they have the technology available to them to take a better pathway than we've taken. Walkable neighbourhoods, public transit, less power hungry appliances and lifestyle.

It's hard to blame countries where 30 of their citizens might have the carbon output and income of a single resident in the West.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dunno, somehow India’s manages 1 billion people and 3/4th of the worlds tiger population all at once…
OTOH hand here in the USA I saw a special on reintroducing a few jaguars in the VAST deserts of the SW, and the usual suspects were up in arms blocking it so they could graze on public land… thats western politics for ya
Anyway, the global warming debate is germane to the state of coral reefs and therefore our hobby. I dunno how to discuss it w/o a meltdown/shutdown given the whole mix of science vs politics….

seasand23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of misinformation and panic coming from the media is getting ridiculous. The 100F reading for clarification is in statistical norm range and not even a record for that buoy. It is located right off a mangrove forest in shallow water. Weather conditions and organic matter in the water can elevate temps. It hit 102F in 2017 and nobody cared. Corals do not grow in this Bay. Yesterday it rained and that temp was 86F. Where corals grow is high and obviously a concern as corals are stressed/dying, but no where near 100F.

It got upto over 100* setting records!

20230726_162223.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The amount of misinformation and panic coming from the media is getting ridiculous. The 100F reading for clarification is in statistical norm range and not even a record for that buoy. It is located right off a mangrove forest in shallow water. Weather conditions and organic matter in the water can elevate temps. It hit 102F in 2017 and nobody cared. Corals do not grow in this Bay. Yesterday it rained and that temp was 86F. Where corals grow is high and obviously a concern as corals are stressed/dying, but no where near 100F.

20230726_162223.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not hyper object or too old to care or any such nonsense

It’s the simple fact that nothing proposed by corrupt politicians will make any difference whatsoever

Eat bugs, no more meat, no more AC, no more cattle, ban gas stoves - it’s all Orwellian oppression that the elites won’t abide by as we already see with their jet setting.

Think they’re going to stop eating wagyu beef? lol, rules are for the little people

Meanwhile India and China couldn’t give a rats butt, and we have put more pollutants into the atmosphere blowing up the nordstream 2 pipeline than the last decade of cow farts - oops!

Until we have some realistic and sensible goals - like exploring massive macro algae farms to help with acidification, then all we’re doing is having political slap fights

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not hyper object or too old to care or any such nonsense

It’s the simple fact that nothing proposed by corrupt politicians will make any difference whatsoever

Eat bugs, no more meat, no more AC, no more cattle, ban gas stoves - it’s all Orwellian oppression that the elites won’t abide by as we already see with their jet setting.

Think they’re going to stop eating wagyu beef? lol, rules are for the little people

Meanwhile India and China couldn’t give a rats butt, and we have put more pollutants into the atmosphere blowing up the nordstream 2 pipeline than the last decade of cow farts - oops!

Until we have some realistic and sensible goals - like exploring massive macro algae farms to help with acidification, then all we’re doing is having political slap fights

Who is stopping you from eating meat!? It seems like you've painted that target on yourself.

You are essentially saying "I know better than people who have spent entire decades researching and analyzing scientific problems in a peer reviewed setting where accountability matters".

Are we supposed to trust your ideas over theirs?

What papers have you written?

What school did you go to?

What are your credentials?

Have you put in the work? The thousands of hours? The training and the discipline?

If it's just "I don't like new ideas" or politically motivated, I am not interested. That kind of thinking is what got us here.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230726_162223.jpg

Do you have a chart going back further than 2005?

You are using this chart as proof that the problem is not there, but personally, I see that chart and I see two temperature records in a 5 year span.

What we really need to know is at what temperature does the ecosystem begin to collapse? What are the healthy ranges? And how often has this temperature been recorded over the last 150 years (or however far back it's been recorded).

How can 100F be "the statistical norm" if 99.7F was the previous record?

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to stay focused on what has reportedly happened. That a lot of the coral that the CRF put in the ocean have died. Not discussing on how we think it happened. By focussing on things we have in common (reefing), we can learn from and help each other, imo.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to stay focused on what has reportedly happened. That a lot of the coral that the CRF put in the ocean have died. Not discussing on how we think it happened. By focussing on things we have in common (reefing), we can learn from and help each other, imo.
It's just a sad situation all around, potentially seeing tons of life die in the ocean like that

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Tampa Bay Times:

The buoy in Manatee Bay, a largely enclosed body of water north of Key Largo, captured a stunning 101.1-degree Fahrenheit reading at 5 feet deep Monday night, according to preliminary data from the National Data Buoy Center.

That would beat the previous record of 99.7 degrees, which was recorded in Kuwait Bay in the Persian Gulf in 2020.

Hotter than Kuwait.

”If you climbed in the water there, I’m pretty darn sure it would have felt like you’re in a hot tub,” said Jeff Masters, a hurricane scientist formerly with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

On Fire GIF by DefyTV

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys! Please refrain from political commentary. We are doing our best to leave this thread open, but it is currently in violation of our terms of service and will be closed if the political comments continue.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To all of you who are trying to keep the discussion on course and avoiding political comments, we see you, and we appreciate you. :)

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys! Please refrain from political commentary. We are doing our best to leave this thread open, but it is currently in violation of our terms of service and will be closed if the political comments continue.

What constitutes as political on here - I generally never talk about right/left wing, blue/red, lib/con etc. However, you can see from the replies here, that even just believing in climate change is considered a political stance by some.

This is a great topic, and near and dear to the hearts of anyone who loves this hobby.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of things that people can do to help the situation with corals and climate change in general, from small to large. Lots of small effects add up to big effects.

Many folks might have to sacrifice something. Is that too much to ask?

Solar panels (on homes, in fields, on buildings, etc.), electric cars, smaller cars, windmills, pay more for renewable energy, less "perfect" indoor temps, living in less harsh locations, altered diets, leave trees standing on your property instead of creating a giant lawn, replace inefficient appliances, add insulation, the list is quite long.

FWIW, I do all of those in some fashion ( aside from owning a windmill).

That said, I'm skeptical that enough people are willing to sacrifice for the greater good, and our descendants are going to have a more difficult life because of it.

Last edited:

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is stopping you from eating meat!? It seems like you've painted that target on yourself.

You are essentially saying "I know better than people who have spent entire decades researching and analyzing scientific problems in a peer reviewed setting where accountability matters".

Are we supposed to trust your ideas over theirs?

What papers have you written?

What school did you go to?

What are your credentials?

Have you put in the work? The thousands of hours? The training and the discipline?

If it's just "I don't like new ideas" or politically motivated, I am not interested. That kind of thinking is what got us here.

Calm down, why are you getting so spun-up when regime propaganda is challenged?

Zero (0) climate models have been accurate ever since the climate hysteria started. All of the "solutions" have been well documented as being proposed by the global regime in all of the western nation (WEF is a big driver)

None of them do anything when India & China are pumping pollutants without regard

We're all conservationists to some degree here. Humans are good at solving slow moving problems. I'd like to see more targetted solutions that make sense instead of stuff designed to get you to live like hunger games peasants while the blue hair ruling class slurps down caviar and A5 wagyu on their private jets.

I would love to see some big macoralgae farms setup to help with the acidification of the reefs - here's some info on that

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to question your close family member’s politics then, because both China and India have about half the per capita carbon footprint that the US has. This is just a blatant anti-Chinese/anti-east nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back