Not open for further replies.

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct

I would like to see some solutions for reducing acidification in the reef areas (perhaps large macro algae farms) that don't come from propagandists flying around on private jets telling me to eat bugs to change the weather

As far as heat waves in the currents killing corals, this has been happening for millions of years - the planet has seen much warmer climates.
Its waaaay more naunced than that. The Great Barrier Reef isnt bounced back, its more like when you get cut and now you have a scab, not healed but not exactly 100% either. COT Stars thrive in warmer waters, Corals which may be growing are still in a more delicate state. @Lebowski_ is right aswell with the diversity being impacted. Animals can only maintain homeostasis for so long in this new enviroment were headed for, you know?

I do think however and some research shows, that some corals are somewhat adapting to these higher temps at least in the GBR. They're developing some type of resistance. Long term corals should continue to exist, but not to the extent or diversity we see today. Not by far :(
We cant be happy with SOME corals still existing, the diminished species that make it through.. They have to thrive

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be honest about this as well.

If anyone here truly cared about climate change we would not be buying rocks and fish that have been flown around the world and ripped out of a wild reef.

Nothing any of us do will matter because the two biggest polluters aren't going to stop pumping CO2 and anything else into the oceans - and that's without even talking about all the raw sewage and garbage they spew into the environment (india, china)

But folks can feel free to bootlick the regime that'll keep flying around and eating kobe lobster and whatever else

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I would hope that facilities trying to reintroduce captive coral to the ocean would be smart enough to develop coral that can withstand the change they see in the ocean. Maybe raise the coral in tanks that temps do reach the 90s at times? It would be an interesting experiment if anything else.
I’m on record here (many times) that the off touted “stability is the key” is a misplaced idiom/logic IME, I don’t think temperature belongs in that discussion; to a point that is….in other words, I see no logic in maintaining a absolute spot on temp in the tank, and I’ve never seen any ill effects of a few degree daily temp swing (room temps) This is even if the ocean and reefs are relatively sable… IMO anything that friggin sensitive wudda died out zillions of years ago

This is correct

I would like to see some solutions for reducing acidification in the reef areas (perhaps large macro algae farms) that don't come from propagandists flying around on private jets telling me to eat bugs to change the weather

As far as heat waves in the currents killing corals, this has been happening for millions of years - the planet has seen much warmer climates.
The corals had thousands of years to adjust, this time its a “Younger Dryess” thing all over again, and the last time the planet did this abrupt temperature change it didn’t go too well for the wooly critters, and saber tooth stuff
Please do not turn this political. Posts have been removed including those that quoted political posts. Please just report posts that violate the TOS.
I’m trying your honor, but Congress just held hearing today discussing the possibility of intelligent life outside of this planet. I’m pretty certain we need to keep looking cuz it definetley don’t exist here on Earth. Heck we elect people that believe “Space lasers” cause forest fires (not joking)

Let's be honest about this as well.

If anyone here truly cared about climate change we would not be buying rocks and fish that have been flown around the world and ripped out of a wild reef.
I hope the illuminati masters that run R2R let this post pass, but inbetween the right (“De-listers”) that wanna remove ALL protections and the left “Do-Gooders” that won’t let us even keep native corals, here we are waiting for a mass extinction event…. Oddly enough if it were not for Kings loving to hunt and domestication, Europe would be devoid of all large mammals after 1000yrs of wars and famine. As it is Aurochs, Tarpan and Dromedary only exist in domestic forms … I don’t see the logic in every law, especially ones that could help hobbyist save Elkhorn and staghorns from total extinction ….

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones? Probably not, because they are dead.
From first hand experience I can say that some favias can survive 104+. Had an incident over a decade ago, where the aquarium room radiator failed, and heated everything in the room well beyond that, air temperature was over 122 when I mad the discovery!

But my favia survived, even though my monties were completely eradicated.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something interesting on youtube where they found hardy corals in the canals around Miami, anyone got more info?

Also does anyone know of any university or research facility keeping/breeding Atlantic hard corals?

Last edited:

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on record here (many times) that the off touted “stability is the key” is a misplaced idiom/logic IME, I don’t think temperature belongs in that discussion; to a point that is….in other words, I see no logic in maintaining a absolute spot on temp in the tank, and I’ve never seen any ill effects of a few degree daily temp swing (room temps) This is even if the ocean and reefs are relatively sable… IMO anything that friggin sensitive wudda died out zillions of years ago

The corals had thousands of years to adjust, this time its a “Younger Dryess” thing all over again, and the last time the planet did this abrupt temperature change it didn’t go too well for the wooly critters, and saber tooth stuff

I’m trying your honor, but Congress just held hearing today discussing the possibility of intelligent life outside of this planet. I’m pretty certain we need to keep looking cuz it definetley don’t exist here on Earth. Heck we elect people that believe “Space lasers” cause forest fires (not joking)

I hope the illuminati masters that run R2R let this post pass, but inbetween the right (“De-listers”) that wanna remove ALL protections and the left “Do-Gooders” that won’t let us even keep native corals, here we are waiting for a mass extinction event…. Oddly enough if it were not for Kings loving to hunt and domestication, Europe would be devoid of all large mammals after 1000yrs of wars and famine. As it is Aurochs, Tarpan and Dromedary only exist in domestic forms … I don’t see the logic in every law, especially ones that could help hobbyist save Elkhorn and staghorns from total extinction ….
The government readily admits to using DEW’s. So, you might wanna walk that back. And there is much proof of it.

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big misnomer I keep seeing people say, corals survived this or that. Not every coral or other animal survives through extinction events we lose a huge chunk every time. If we can prevent another mass extinction especially one that we help cause then thats the correct course of action. Are we okay with favias surviving the 100 degree waters? and losing our montis? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got upto over 100* setting records!

My buddy is in the keys fishing right now and he is getting 89 degrees in the Atlantic. Highest temp he has seen was 93 in the stagnant, shallow marina.

willy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From CBS News.

(right now no comment outta respect to the TOS) …but suffice to say there are a hulluva lotta “protected” dead frags now littering the bottom of the Florida Keys :confused:

edited
I’ll be there next week and I’ll let you know! I’m pretty confident that the news is overblowing the situation.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The government readily admits to using DEW’s. So, you might wanna walk that back. And there is much proof of it.
DEW’s? heck they may even have “UAP’s” FAIK (see hearings held on Wed) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Anyway, blaming space lasers for causing forest fires is Akin to blaming every heat wave on cows and buses. I do see both sides of a argument…..

so Pardon any hint at political frustrations…. might be safer to admit I do honestly wish science ruled the day in this emergency

Still asking, has anyone seen the youtube vid on the canal corals? Reason I’m asking is those would be perfect for CB specimens if laws would allow collection and propagation. Just thinking some commercial exploitation at this point might be a good thing.
Any decent color morphs of Atlantic Stony corals? I have seen some colorful carribean scoly type corals, whatever they actual are.

Last edited:

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct

That is true, many times. We are actually pretty cold geologically speaking. But it's the rapidity with which it is happening that will get the corals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back