100 gallon 48 by 24 by 20 tall stalking

Aidenlko22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon 48 by 24 by 20 tall tank that I am working on setting up as a reef tank to replace my current first tank 75 gallon that I currently have a 3.5 inch yellow tank , 4 PJ cardinals all fully grown and 2 blue green chromis I plan to have a few more fish in my next tank and want to know your opinion on my ideas

2 clown fish one standard and one black
2 or 3 banggai cardinals
A yellow watchmen goby
A cleaner shrimp
And possibly a blue eye kole tang
And some type of wrasse many a 6 line ?

Keep in mind the fish I currently have all get along and are part of the family and not going anywhere my yellow tank has been a kind model citizen in my tank and if I were to get a blue eye kole it would be introduced last
Thanks for any help given

OP
OP
Aidenlko22

Aidenlko22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon 48 by 24 by 20 tall tank that I am working on setting up as a reef tank to replace my current first tank 75 gallon that I currently have a 3.5 inch yellow tank , 4 PJ cardinals all fully grown and 2 blue green chromis I plan to have a few more fish in my next tank and want to know your opinion on my ideas

2 or 3 banggai cardinals
A yellow watchmen goby
A cleaner shrimp

Keep in mind the fish I currently have all get along and are part of the family and not going anywhere my yellow tank has been a kind model citizen in my tank and if I were to get a blue eye kole it would be introduced last
And maybe some more chromis

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 or 3 banggai cardinals
A yellow watchmen goby
A cleaner shrimp

Why limit yourself to a sixline? You could get a Halichoeres wrasse that does the same job and can be mixed with other wrasses that aren’t the pseudocheilinus genus. With one tang already (That most likely will get too big for that tank and needs Atleast 6’ to be happy) I don’t recommend another tang. The bangaiis are a good thought for sure just be careful they don’t get any disease, these guys can wipe their own species out in a tank and nothing else because of a disease only found on them. The rest seem okay to me, if I went with just one tang I’d gladly go blue eye kole! I never regretted mine one bit (Until my favourite bristletooth came into the shop a week later).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the list looks mostly okay. If you add the yellow and blue eye tangs at the same time (if possible), that may work fine in a 120. It depends on several factors. Keep them really well fed.

Bangaii will end up as a m/f pair after they mature.

I would go with a melanurus over a sixline, I agree, as long as you have sand.

The bangaiis are a good thought for sure just be careful they don’t get any disease, these guys can wipe their own species out in a tank and nothing else because of a disease only found on them.
Never heard of this. Could you expand?

OP
OP
Aidenlko22

Aidenlko22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Canada so I can't quarantine fish with copper or any meds so I quarantine fish by just keeping them in a Fowler tank to them selves for a month or two I will look into more types of wrasses I have sand, are there any other tang like fish that would work in this tank and that is reef safe ? Any other ideas for fish for the tank?

Very interesting about the cardinal disease never heard of it would be interested in more info / story's on it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Canada so I can't quarantine fish with copper or any meds so I quarantine fish by just keeping them in a Fowler tank to them selves for a month or two I will look into more types of wrasses I have sand, are there any other tang like fish that would work in this tank and that is reef safe ? Any other ideas for fish for the tank?
if you have a lid then maybe a tilefish, as for tang like fish, I quite like the Foxface (Only because I like the thought of a venomous reef safe fish), I have managed to add in a 2.5” flashing tilefish with a 2 year old Ctenochaetus binotatus so if you have a lid for the wrasse you could have a tilefish - Just be careful since some if not all do need to have a peaceful introduction.

OP
OP
Aidenlko22

Aidenlko22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a fox face however I have heard that they are not always reef safe I will have a lid as I have heard that clowns and chromis jump and if I am going to have a wrasse or a few I will need one also what is your experience of the fox face ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a fox face however I have heard that they are not always reef safe I will have a lid as I have heard that clowns and chromis jump and if I am going to have a wrasse or a few I will need one also what is your experience of the fox face ?
I have kept 2 magnificent foxfaces (Siganus magnificus) and kept both for 2 years (My first one died due to an ammonia spike). I have found them to be easy going, better algae eaters than any tang and my two have been reef safe for the most part, I would recommend staying away from Zoanthids just in case though. My guy I have now was sat in a tank with just about every soft coral and he was absolutely fine before I got him.

OP
OP
Aidenlko22

Aidenlko22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I might consider a fox face then or just a good number of wrasses or maybe just maybe when the captive bred copper band butterflys come out and are reasonable price wise but that could be years

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back