1000 gallon tank for a beginner!

Well you can't silicone acrylic but I don't think the leak is at the acrylic. I could potentially silicone between the bulkhead and pvc I suppose. I changed it the bulkhead yesterday. Will repeat a leak test this afternoon.
 
Noob question since I’ve never had acrylic - can you silicon and seal the bulkhead from the exterior side of the tank? It might be easier to remove silicon from just one side than to cut the piping if you glue a slip in.
It actually doesn't matter if you've got acrylic or glass, the bulkhead will have threads on the outside so the nut can secure it to the tank itself. The slip portion is for the pipe and that is on the inside of the bulkhead that protrudes through the tank. It's generally not recommended to silicone the bulkhead in place as it's a REAL pain to remove or adjust.
 
Yes, the hole was large enough to fit my hand into and clean the bottom. I have it emptied again so I can't take a picture of it leaking however I could watch the drop form in the small space where the bulkhead thread ends and the pvc adapter comes out of. There area above it is dry. I ran my hand along the outside of the bulkhead and external threads which are palpably dry as well.
Ahhh gotcha, so that should eliminate a bad seal that is leaking down into the threads. Are you using schedule 80 bulkheads (grey) and schedule 40 PVC fitting (white)? I haven't ever had issues with the threads not being compatible but it might be worth trying a schedule 80 threaded adapter to the PVC pipe? (If it still leaks after your next test).
 
Just found this thread and read through all of it. It would be awesome to buy a house with a built in tank. I have found my 3d printers to be super handy. If there no part that does exactly what I need it to do, design it and print it. Hopefully you get the bulkhead issue figured out.
 
I'm not ready to call it a victory yet however I broke everything down last night and reinstalled the old bulkhead with the new gasket and purchased all new pipe dope and redoped the threads to the pipe. I turned everything back on this afternoon and 6 hours later still no leaks. I'm not calling it a success until I see no leaks for the whole weekend though. I remain cautiously optimistic!
 
This is awesome, inspiring, and will probably make my wife nervous if she sees me looking at this, thinking that I might be getting ideas to remove a wall in our house.
 
Just found this thread and read through all of it. It would be awesome to buy a house with a built in tank. I have found my 3d printers to be super handy. If there no part that does exactly what I need it to do, design it and print it. Hopefully you get the bulkhead issue figured out.

My 3d printer may be the most important piece of gear I have bought for the aquarium (upgraded from and ender3 to a Bambu labs P1S). I have designed and printed out all sorts of things since starting this build.
 
My 3d printer may be the most important piece of gear I have bought for the aquarium (upgraded from and ender3 to a Bambu labs P1S). I have designed and printed out all sorts of things since starting this build.
I almost went bamboo labs but couldn't imagine I would need to print multiple colors. I wanted a core xy so I went qidi x-max 3, a little cheaper but no option for multiple colors. I still have my ender3s, it's old reliable.
 
No leaks through the weekend! I think we're good. I was able to work on other things for once this weekend.

Started up the protein skimmer and working on getting it broken in. I have the ATO hooked up but haven't actually started it up since the skimmer is going a little crazy right now. Will get it going one the skimmer settles in.

20241027_150018.jpg


I did not wash my sand prior to putting it in the tank. Carrying those large bags up and over and into the tank was heavy enough dry much less soaking wet. I've started stirring up the sand and trying to clean up the dust through filtering and skimming. I think that's going to take some time to clear a lot of it out but will be worth it to do now.

The next step to work on is cutting some acrylic for lids to the sumps and to my quarantine tanks.
 
No leaks through the weekend! I think we're good. I was able to work on other things for once this weekend.

Started up the protein skimmer and working on getting it broken in. I have the ATO hooked up but haven't actually started it up since the skimmer is going a little crazy right now. Will get it going one the skimmer settles in.

20241027_150018.jpg


I did not wash my sand prior to putting it in the tank. Carrying those large bags up and over and into the tank was heavy enough dry much less soaking wet. I've started stirring up the sand and trying to clean up the dust through filtering and skimming. I think that's going to take some time to clear a lot of it out but will be worth it to do now.

The next step to work on is cutting some acrylic for lids to the sumps and to my quarantine tanks.
So glad to hear you were able to cross this hurdle with the leaking!

Now that is one serious-looking skimmer! I can't believe how tall it is!
 
Continuing to filter out the silt from my sand polishing up the water. In addition this week I created some nice acrylic lids for the sections of my sump and for my QT tanks.

20241030_230806.jpg


20241030_231019.jpg


Alas the law of unintended consequences struck. My water temp had been running at roughly 78 degrees, the temp I was aiming for, and it was maintaining it without the heaters. When I put on the lids, the temp has slowly increased up to 79.5. This is without any high-powered lights installed over the tank yet.

Well, there is that gigantic chiller the previous tank owner installed that I never used in my freshwater build...

20241101_172029.jpg


So I fired that bad boy up and boy did it work and quickly too. And boy did that room heat up even faster! This thing isn't vented anywhere so it got unbearably hot in there real fast, so I cut it off. I bet the previous owner never used that chiller because of how hot the room would get.

I guess my nice lids may not get much use after all. For now I've removed the lid from the top sump and one of the three sections from the bottom sump to see what the temps will do over time this weekend. I will have to switch gears and look at perhaps a fan to blow onto the upper sump. Perhaps adding some vents and fans to blow warm air out of the fish room and into the main hall to drop the temp in the fish room a little more since it runs a little hotter in there.

Open to suggestions on this because I'm sure the water temp will get even warmer once I add appropriate reef lights into the mix. While I was hoping to aim for a temp of 78, 80 wouldn't be terrible but I would get nervous going above that and would like to have some measures in place to address it.
 
Continuing to filter out the silt from my sand polishing up the water. In addition this week I created some nice acrylic lids for the sections of my sump and for my QT tanks.

20241030_230806.jpg


20241030_231019.jpg


Alas the law of unintended consequences struck. My water temp had been running at roughly 78 degrees, the temp I was aiming for, and it was maintaining it without the heaters. When I put on the lids, the temp has slowly increased up to 79.5. This is without any high-powered lights installed over the tank yet.

Well, there is that gigantic chiller the previous tank owner installed that I never used in my freshwater build...

20241101_172029.jpg


So I fired that bad boy up and boy did it work and quickly too. And boy did that room heat up even faster! This thing isn't vented anywhere so it got unbearably hot in there real fast, so I cut it off. I bet the previous owner never used that chiller because of how hot the room would get.

I guess my nice lids may not get much use after all. For now I've removed the lid from the top sump and one of the three sections from the bottom sump to see what the temps will do over time this weekend. I will have to switch gears and look at perhaps a fan to blow onto the upper sump. Perhaps adding some vents and fans to blow warm air out of the fish room and into the main hall to drop the temp in the fish room a little more since it runs a little hotter in there.

Open to suggestions on this because I'm sure the water temp will get even warmer once I add appropriate reef lights into the mix. While I was hoping to aim for a temp of 78, 80 wouldn't be terrible but I would get nervous going above that and would like to have some measures in place to address it.
I think venting the room would help for sure. Where are you measuring temp at? The sump or the display?
 
There is a small exhaust fan that vents to the outside but nothing big enough for that kind of heat. I may however be able to add some vents above the door and a fan to exhaust to the hall easily enough. The temp is being measured from the sump.
 
I just wonder if your actual tank temp is that bad. Might be worth looking at the tank temp too just to see if that much heat is being transferred into the tank or if it's just the small volume of the sump.
 
I just wonder if your actual tank temp is that bad. Might be worth looking at the tank temp too just to see if that much heat is being transferred into the tank or if it's just the small volume of the sump.

Just checked and the tank and sump temps are the same.
 
I wouldn't be overly worried about temps over 80 degrees. The great barrier reef ranges from 75-84 degrees over the year. I've always run my reef tanks between 80-82 with no issues, I'll usually set my high temp alarm for anything over 84 just so I know. Consistency and minimal swings are most important imo. If it'll run at 80-82 with all equipment running I personally think you're solid!

It may be good to take a few more temp data points throughout the day to check for differences between the sump and aquarium just to be sure!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new