100G

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, been watching and reading about the beautiful reefs on this forum and got hooked by the warm and welcoming athmophere, respectively by the open minded and knowledgeable people here.

I live in Budapest (Hungary) and got my first saltwater tank almost 4 years ago. I consider myself a rookie, but eager to learn and experience new things.

This thread is about my 100gallon (400liters) SPS reef, that is 2+ years old. I'm interested in water chemistry, DIY recipees for dosing "stuff", and anything that proves that this hobby can be simple, and helps demistify saltwater tanks and reefing in general.

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, been watching and reading about the beautiful reefs on this forum and got hooked by the warm and welcoming athmophere, respectively by the open minded and knowledgeable people here.

I live in Budapest (Hungary) and got my first saltwater tank almost 4 years ago. I consider myself a rookie, but eager to learn and experience new things.

This thread is about my 100gallon (400liters) SPS reef, that is 2+ years old. I'm interested in water chemistry, DIY recipees for dosing "stuff", and anything that proves that this hobby can be simple, and helps demistify saltwater tanks and reefing in general.
Pictures of your setup?

OP
OP
mazoli

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160922_081904.jpg
IMG_20160812_141929.jpg

Have some acros, montiporas and few lps.

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! do you have any more info or pictures?

OP
OP
mazoli

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few technical tedails. The glass is 48*24 inch (120*60 cm) and 20 inch high (55cm). Light is 2x OR T247. I had the leds for about a year at the beginning from March 2014 till mid2015, then switched to a 8xT5 fixture for less than a year, but switched back to LEDs this March. Will stay with leds for now.

Filtering is a H&S 150 protein skimmer body modified to fit a Jebao DC3000 pump with pinwheel rotor, running at 50% power. Last year tried zeolites for a few months, but was too much extra work, did not see the benefit (at least in my case), so stopped using it. Earlier also used/tried macro algae for filtering, but gave up on that as well. No carbon or GFO, however if my phospahates rise, I apply GFO. No filter socks, but I’m using a power filter with filter wool, and at least once a weeks I stir up the sand .

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a beautiful reef! You know I love it! ;)

OP
OP
mazoli

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main inspiration on this forum is @Randy Holmes-Farley and @glennf, respectively @Paul B. Randy's articles and his in-depth knowledge about water chemistry, combined with Glenns's DSR protocol helped me a lot to get things straight. Last summer my aquarium was a disaster (lost about half of my corals, it was a sad period). About a year ago "discovered" the above mentioned gentlemen's work and approach to reefing, and slowly understanding a few chemistry/biology mechanisms and parameters, my aquarium started "working". I'm slowly reducing my water changes, did one in January, April and the last one this year was in June. I'm not planning more waterchanges, unless something does not look right. The maintenance I do is close to DSR, with some changes.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
mazoli

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some trimming on the left hand side on the acropora cervicornis, started shading others, grew too big. Just shot a short video about how it looks today:

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sharing your tank and pictures with us, They are both just beautiful.:)

OP
OP
mazoli

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As acroporas are growing, there is less and less space for montiporas. Guess this is just a natural process for most of us...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back