100ppm nitrates .09ppm phosphates. What to do?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used salifert for nitrates and Hannah for phosphates.

I added phosguard last night to the tank to bring down phosphates, but I feel like I made a mistake because I read that I actually need the phosphates in order to lower nitrates.

Should I remove the phosguard?

Tank is new with bleached live rocks. I’m assuming that there’s not enough anaerobic bacteria yet to remove the nitrates.

How can I quickly remove the nitrates while balancing the phosphates?

Edit: tank is 300 gallons.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some phosphate, not .09
Would start carbon dosing. It takes time but works for sure. Water changes can help but they are surprisingly not effective at lowering such high nitrate levels

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk anything about dosing, but what is your filtration setup? I’m dealing with nitrates around 50 and plan to add a refugium plus run my skimmer.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good filtration system. Filter socks changed every other day and a protein skimmer.

The issue is more because new rocks leeching dead organics and don't have much denitrifying bacteria inside the pores yet.

I started the carbon dosing and limited my lights. This will prevent the algae from absorbing the nutrients and instead allow the anaerobic bacteria to slowly increase population size.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn o e of your sump compartments into a fuge.

Plus this

Plus this x 2

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PO4 isn't actually high btw. A lot of SPS keepers run right around there.

If you don't have corals yet there shouldn't be a rush to resolve the nitrates.

WC are a good fit for your numbers IMO. I believe RHF has stated that WC will lower nitrate much faster than PO4, so that would get you nitrate down without tanking your PO4.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's step back a second - how new is the tank? When did you finish your cycle? What's currently in the tank (fish, corals)?
Killjoy. Don't be so calm and rational. Can't you just let us go in there swinging sledgehammers like we were born to do? I hear 100 nitrates and it is howitzer time! OK. Sarcasm rant over. Good questions.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's step back a second - how new is the tank? When did you finish your cycle? What's currently in the tank (fish, corals)?
Tank is 10 days old. Cycle was finished a week ago. I used live sand, a lot of bottled bacteria. My live rocks were quickly dipped in bleach because I needed to aqua scape it dry. If I didn't remove as much organics as possible I would have an even bigger mess.

I've been testing ammonia and its been 0 ever since. I have 8 tiny fish and a shrimp. Only GSP from previous tank.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I need a really big water change and then to maintain carbon dosing.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10 days old. Cycle was finished a week ago. I used live sand, a lot of bottled bacteria. My live rocks were quickly dipped in bleach because I needed to aqua scape it dry. If I didn't remove as much organics as possible I would have an even bigger mess.

I've been testing ammonia and its been 0 ever since. I have 8 tiny fish and a shrimp. Only GSP from previous tank.

Wait what? You dipped your LR in bleach? So basically they're dead rocks now. Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to start with dry rocks?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what? You dipped your LR in bleach? So basically they're dead rocks now. Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to start with dry rocks?

No it wouldn't. My tank was running for a decade prior and those live rocks were always there. I made a really nice aqua scape after I broke all the rocks up.

It wouldn't make sense to buy rocks if I already have rocks. And it won't make a difference in the long run either. They will turn live again. Another bonus is that I get to start fresh because I had a lot of pests before. It's a win win for me.

But I see what you’re saying. You thought that I’m making a brand new tank and I randomly went out and bought live rocks just to kill them. Yea, that does sound pretty silly. Luckily I just used whatever I had.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back