10g Mangrove/Macro/Reef build!

ereccer

View Badges
Reaction score
I've been involved in the freshwater/planted tank world for about a year, and I've caught the reef bug! I've done some research (and lots of lurking, here and on the nano-reef forums) for the last couple months, and have decided that I would like to convert my currently empty Aqueon 10g into a mangrove/macro/nano-reef. The exact components of the build and stocking are still taking shape, but I wanted to create this thread to document the build and as a place to ask questions (and hopefully get some help!) from the more-experienced-than-I members here.

My inspiration is mainly from the following 3 tanks:

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a larger tank in the ~40-50 gallon range, shallow/lagoon style, similar to the first and third tanks above. This tank will be more like the second tank, just on a slightly smaller scale.

I'm planning to keep stocking pretty light, and I'd like to see if I can keep nutrients under control with just the in-tank macros, and no external fuge or sump. I may consider doing an aquaclear 50/70 HOB for cheato if needed to keep the tank more stable.

Here's what I have so far:
Aqueon 10g aquarium
Aqueon 100w heater w/ Inkbird temp controller
2 Coral Compulsion 14k full spectrum 24w par38 bulbs

I'll likely pick up a Koralia nano 240 or 425 next.

Here are some pictures! [I won't be using the light or filter in the fts, that's still from when I was running it as a low-tech freshwater tank most recently].

IMG_20191122_185704.jpg

IMG_20191122_185752.jpg

IMG_20191122_185913.jpg

saan1wu4

View Badges
Reaction score
I LOVE planted marine tanks and brad908's mangrove lagoon is one of my all time favourites! I can't wait to see yours come together! :D

OP
ereccer

ereccer

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the kind welcomes! Can't wait to get going on this build and post some more updates. This week is the last week of classes in my graduate program, so I've been busy finishing assignments. Next week is finals and finishing grading, then visiting family out of the state for a week. So the tank will probably get fully rolling after that. There's a LFS that specialized in reef tanks about 30 minutes from here that I haven't been to yet either (opposite direction of travel from where I normally go, so I don't make it out there often!), and I plan to go visit after the holidays.

This week, I purchased some used equipment, so the plan has been (slightly) upgraded.

I'll be adding an Apex Jr., Aquaclear 70 HOB refugium (with Intank Media basket!), and a Mame skimmer.

I'm also look at getting an ATO, currently my top choices are either a Tunze 3155, or the SpectraPure UPLC-II, especially if I can get it used. Any thoughts on ATO choice? I know that these both seem to be commonly for larger tanks, but I didn't like that the Tunze 3152 seemed to have less favorable reviews, and the other nano tank ATOs seemed to be lower quality. Hopefully running one of these on such a small tank without a sump won't be an issue.

Question: if you were doing this build, what would you use the Apex Jr. for (other than temp control)? Trying to figure out what modules to look into, it only comes with a temp probe and no display (I'll do all the programming from my computer, so not worried about that, it was a good deal). Also figuring I'll add a ph probe to help as a back-up for the ATO.

Will post some photos once the new gear arrives!

OP
ereccer

ereccer

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm out of town visiting family for the holidays, heading back home Tuesday! I wanted to post an update before I left town because I had a bunch of new items for the tank arrive, but I didn't have time unfortunately. So I'll just have to list the new things I have, and then post pictures when I get home in a few days!

So I purchased some more items (mostly used through R2R, a few new things from sponsors), and the tank has gotten a further upgrade! I decided on most of the upgrades since they seemed like a good idea considering that I plan to hopefully upgrade to a larger tank in the not-too-distant future.

In addition to the Aquaclear 70, Mame Skimmer, and the Coral Compulsion lights, I picked up an MP10wQD, SpectraPure UPLC-II for an ATO setup, and I decided to get an Apex Classic instead of an Apex Jr. I also picked up a BRS 7-stage RODI setup.

I ordered 5 lbs of Marcorocks reef saver dry rock from BRS, as well as a bucket of IO salt. Time to start curing some rock when I get home!

OP
ereccer

ereccer

View Badges
Reaction score
So I've gotten a lot of boxes in with supplies to setup the tank, including an RODI system that I need to setup in the basement and 5 lbs of rock from BRS. I'll take some pictures of everything as I unbox and setup, but that probably won't start till next week at the earliest, since I'm out of town this weekend.

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 331 61.1%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 135 24.9%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 83 15.3%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 359 66.2%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 54 10.0%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 353 65.1%