10g Stock?

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I recently upgraded to the AI Prime light and I’m loving it. Now all I have to do is get a protein skimmer and I can start adding corals for Rico’s nano challenge.

A main thing I’ve been thinking about is what should go in my tank. Currently, I have a Yellow Watchman Goby, a Platinum Percula Clownfish, and a Tailspot Blenny. I definitely want another clown, but I’m not sure if that’s too much. What do you guys think?

I’ve been pondering the idea of this stock:

2x Clowns
1x tailspot
1x Watchman
1x banggai cardinal or sixline wrasse

I definitely want an open water swimmer as all of my current fish just sit in their homes. Clown with the anemone, tailspot in an above rock cave, and the goby in his burrow. I obviously wouldn’t want to overstock my tank, but I also don’t want my tank to have 0 movement. What’re your thoughts? I’ll be running a hang on back skimmer and a hang on back filter for some more beneficial bacteria.

Any comment or criticism about my idea is appreciated!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definite no on the six line, too active of a species and I would be VERY concerned about aggression in such a small tank. You really don’t want any open water swimmers in such a small tank as they will be stressed. Most people would not put more than 2 fish in a 10 gallon.
Beyond that, another problem is balancing swimming space and filtration capacity. If you have a sump with extra rock or marinepure or something of the sort, that won’t be a problem, but I don’t know many people with such small tanks running sumps.
I would not add one more fish to your current stock. If you really want movement then trade in the goby for something else. Lots of personality but not too active.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definite no on the six line, too active of a species and I would be VERY concerned about aggression in such a small tank. You really don’t want any open water swimmers in such a small tank as they will be stressed. Most people would not put more than 2 fish in a 10 gallon.
Beyond that, another problem is balancing swimming space and filtration capacity. If you have a sump with extra rock or marinepure or something of the sort, that won’t be a problem, but I don’t know many people with such small tanks running sumps.
I would not add one more fish to your current stock. If you really want movement then trade in the goby for something else. Lots of personality but not too active.

Good points! I’ve been thinking about switching to a different sized tank but that’d be pretty stressful on my fish... The 10g was originally supposed to be used just to hold my fish until I could upgrade after my heater failure, so now I’m not sure... I’d rather get myself a cube tank, but not sure.

As you said, another fish would be stretching it. What do you think, will the addition of another clown totally ruin my current, and successful, tank chemistry? I’m thinking I’ll get the clown and test for a few days, if my tests come back bad then I’ll trade in the Blenny. How’s that sound? I’d also be adding a protein skimmer

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points! I’ve been thinking about switching to a different sized tank but that’d be pretty stressful on my fish... The 10g was originally supposed to be used just to hold my fish until I could upgrade after my heater failure, so now I’m not sure... I’d rather get myself a cube tank, but not sure.

As you said, another fish would be stretching it. What do you think, will the addition of another clown totally ruin my current, and successful, tank chemistry? I’m thinking I’ll get the clown and test for a few days, if my tests come back bad then I’ll trade in the Blenny. How’s that sound? I’d also be adding a protein skimmer

I don’t think switching to a bigger tank would be stressful at all. Same basic idea as buying a fish from the little tanks at the store and bringing them home except it’s a lot faster. I actually think they’d be a lot happier in a bigger tank no matter what the species, plus you will be able to get some more fish like you want. I recommend that you look around at other peoples nano tanks around that size and see how they stocked it so you can get an idea of what’s appropriate if you can’t upgrade to a larger system. Even just a cheap upgrade like to a 29G would open considerably more possibilities.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think switching to a bigger tank would be stressful at all. Same basic idea as buying a fish from the little tanks at the store and bringing them home except it’s a lot faster. I actually think they’d be a lot happier in a bigger tank no matter what the species, plus you will be able to get some more fish like you want. I recommend that you look around at other peoples nano tanks around that size and see how they stocked it so you can get an idea of what’s appropriate if you can’t upgrade to a larger system. Even just a cheap upgrade like to a 29G would open considerably more possibilities.

I’m pretty interested in getting a cube tank (not sure if I’ve said that already) so maybe I can look for a 20g cube? Not sure what dimensions that is. My new AI Prime dwarfs my 10g so that’s another reason, haha. I also just got rid of a ton of coral (making room for Rico’s Challenge) so I’d be able to upgrade without the chance of losing coral. While we’re on the topic, do you think a single AI Prime would be enough for a mixed reef on a 40g? That’d be as big of an upgrade that I could do. A 75 would be nice, but I had a stand for a 40, no space for a 75, and it’s just overall a cheaper price.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty interested in getting a cube tank (not sure if I’ve said that already) so maybe I can look for a 20g cube? Not sure what dimensions that is. My new AI Prime dwarfs my 10g so that’s another reason, haha. I also just got rid of a ton of coral (making room for Rico’s Challenge) so I’d be able to upgrade without the chance of losing coral. While we’re on the topic, do you think a single AI Prime would be enough for a mixed reef on a 40g? That’d be as big of an upgrade that I could do. A 75 would be nice, but I had a stand for a 40, no space for a 75, and it’s just overall a cheaper price.

A single AI prime won’t be enough to light end to end, but if it’s in the middle you can have corals. Just don’t put anything other than low light stuff at the outer 6” or so on both sides. Cube tanks are very cool looking, extra water volume is nice but not a lot of swimming space. Even a 60 cube is only 3 feet long which is basically as good as a 40 breeder, just a little extra capacity.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single AI prime won’t be enough to light end to end, but if it’s in the middle you can have corals. Just don’t put anything other than low light stuff at the outer 6” or so on both sides. Cube tanks are very cool looking, extra water volume is nice but not a lot of swimming space. Even a 60 cube is only 3 feet long which is basically as good as a 40 breeder, just a little extra capacity.

My 10g is nice and all, but the dimensions kinda stink, but a 40 would be so cool! I could make a really nice scape, too. I might as well just get a 40g during the Petco half off sale...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back