Stockning list for 120 help

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking for help with my stocking list and want to hear some inputs if my list is too extensive for my 120gallon tank. 125cm wide to 65 deep.

1x Yellow Watchmangoby
2x Firefish
2x Clownfish
1x Royal Gramma
2x Benggai Cardinal
1x Mandarin
1x longnose Hawkfish
1x Tomini tang
1x whitetail bristletooth
1x leopard wrasse

I also appreciate some help in the order of introduction

And yes I’m new to the hobby so please don’t be gentle

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats 1 fish per 9 gallons . Its a lot

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. What would you say is a more recommended amount?
A lot of this question depends on your rock work. If you have an NSA or minimal aquascape then you can have less fish.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents :upside-down-face:

1x Yellow Watchmangoby Will burry everything and if your ok with it go
2x Firefish may never see them and they will fight each other
2x Clownfish will most likely attach everything in there side of the tank
1x Royal Gramma
2x Benggai Cardinal you will most likely have one eventually
1x Mandarin wait 6-8 months before adding because of pods
1x longnose Hawkfish
1x Tomini tang add last
1x whitetail bristletooth add last
1x leopard wrasse wait 6-8 months before adding because of pods

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents :upside-down-face:

1x Yellow Watchmangoby Will burry everything and if your ok with it go
2x Firefish may never see them and they will fight each other
2x Clownfish will most likely attach everything in there side of the tank
1x Royal Gramma
2x Benggai Cardinal you will most likely have one eventually
1x Mandarin wait 6-8 months before adding because of pods
1x longnose Hawkfish
1x Tomini tang add last
1x whitetail bristletooth add last
1x leopard wrasse wait 6-8 months before adding because of pods
Thanks a lot I’ll only add one of each of the Firefish and the Cardinal then to make sure there is no aggression in between them.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of this question depends on your rock work. If you have an NSA or minimal aquascape then you can have less fish.
I have about 42kg (92 lbs?) of rock in the tank made into 2 bigger islands with some caves in between the rocks.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot I’ll only add one of each of the Firefish and the Cardinal then to make sure there is no aggression in between them.
If you dont mind some aggression and want multiple of one fish the springeri damsel are a good choice. They pick on each other but dont out right kill. I have 6 in my 90. Your list is not that bad you could add another tang or maybe a foxface. Just add the smalls at the beginning. My cardinal btw chasses my wrasses all the time fyi. IDK why. Also the leopard is going to be the most difficult.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 42kg (92 lbs?) of rock in the tank made into 2 bigger islands with some caves in between the rocks.
Each cave you have equals 1 fish or a coupled pair.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind some aggression and want multiple of one fish the springeri damsel are a good choice. They pick on each other but dont out right kill. I have 6 in my 90. Your list is not that bad you could add another tang or maybe a foxface. Just add the smalls at the beginning. My cardinal btw chasses my wrasses all the time fyi. IDK why. Also the leopard is going to be the most difficult.
Thanks I’ll have to look in the the damsels. Yeah the Leopard is the one that I dread the most. Love the look of it but maybe it’s a bit to difficult for a beginner. But I’ll probably wait to add it for a while.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey I’ll have to count the caves then. I’ll probably add fish very slowly to see what works out and what doesn’t work.
You'll be able to see as you go. Fish will have their own seperate areas to sleep and hide. Once those areas are filled aggression issues will go up. Also, clowns have a way of taking over larger sections. Mine currently own about a third of my 90g.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ll have to look in the the damsels. Yeah the Leopard is the one that I dread the most. Love the look of it but maybe it’s a bit to difficult for a beginner. But I’ll probably wait to add it for a while.
I bought 2 local and did not QT. Got one from @Dr. Reef and it came in healthy and happy.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be able to see as you go. Fish will have their own seperate areas to sleep and hide. Once those areas are filled aggression issues will go up. Also, clowns have a way of taking over larger sections. Mine currently own about a third of my 90g.
I’ll probably add the fish I want the most first to make sure that it’s enough space for them.
The two Tangs are the ones I absolutely want as well as the Leopard. And I’m willing to wait the appropriate time to add them in since they are a big reason why I even started the tank.

As I understand it it’s the copepod population that is the most important for the wrasse? Is it possible to seed the tank extra pods to add it in early or should I wait for the tank to seed it self?

I’m open to both options

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably add the fish I want the most first to make sure that it’s enough space for them.
The two Tangs are the ones I absolutely want as well as the Leopard. And I’m willing to wait the appropriate time to add them in since they are a big reason why I even started the tank.

As I understand it it’s the copepod population that is the most important for the wrasse? Is it possible to seed the tank extra pods to add it in early or should I wait for the tank to seed it self?

I’m open to both options
For the wrasse and mandarin they will both consume pods. These fish you will want to wait until the tank is established.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the wrasse and mandarin they will both consume pods. These fish you will want to wait until the tank is established.
Yeah that was my initial intention. To wait some moths or even a year to add the first one and then wait some more for the second.

But the wrasse is my “grail” so it’s probably the one I’ll add first of the 2. Is that a bad thing?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was my initial intention. To wait some moths or even a year to add the first one and then wait some more for the second.

But the wrasse is my “grail” so it’s probably the one I’ll add first of the 2. Is that a bad thing?
Starting with dry rock? Plan on growing macro?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes dry rock from the start. Wasn’t a good enough supply of live rock here so… I’m m on my way to start a fuge atm. Waiting for clean Cheato to arrive to get it up and running.
Then waiting on the system to mature a bit is the best bet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back