11 Gallon Cube Build

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Starting a reef tank and I’m really excited about it. Have been researching for months. Finally went to my LFS and pulled the trigger. PS - Hello from Canada!

Started off budget conscious but already planning some upgrades. Currently 4 days into fishless cycle.

A few photos so far:

1DE22D30-B81D-4866-BA13-63D5E2A11898.jpeg

6399E472-1403-48D1-887D-67B0E50C5B63.jpeg

28A7C39B-D525-4DEF-BD6E-841B2A8DB134.jpeg

Not in love with the scape right now but I’ll figure that out. Might take that live rock off the top.

Cycle details:
  • 6lbs dry rock
  • 4lbs live rock from LFS
  • Water purchased from LFS tanks
  • CaribSea Arag-Alive 10lbs
  • Seachem bio start dosing
  • Ghost feed eventually
  • Threw a raw shrimp in there to get things going
Im charting the cycle on a Google sheet:

9AE918D2-5404-4C02-83AB-C1F24114144B.jpeg

74A0DAFA-1E1D-4E7C-90D5-0C27D9CFDAA9.jpeg

I wish I could go larger on the tank, but I live in a condo and space is hard to come by. I know I know, 11G as my first tank may be challenging, but I think I can do it.

Starting this build thread to document my entire tank journey.

Equipment

Tank11G crystal rimless cube
FilterAqueon Quiet Flow 20
HeaterAqueon 50W preset 78
LightCoralife white/blue clip-on
PumpHydor Koralia Nano 240
RODIAquatic Life RODI Buddie 3 stage
SaltTropical reef plus
  • Bought a salinity tester and a magnetic tank cleaner today.
  • I want one of those VorTech pumps. You just can’t beat that low profile look. Maybe I’ll reward myself if I find some room in my budget the next few months.
  • I can tell already I’ll have to get a different light. The one I currently have is probably way too high intensity and will fry any coral eventually have in there. PAR meters are expensive but we’ll see how things go.
  • Also thinking about auto top up and protein skimmer. But like I said, space is limited and I’ll have to play that by ear. Since it’s a nano I’m pretty sure I’ll do auto top up sooner than later.
I think that’s about it For now. If you made it this far thanks for reading, and I can’t wait to post more updates! And please let me know if you have any feedback.

Can’t wait for my reef to look like this :)

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome ,nice start ,should post in meet and greet meet the reef ,happy reefing

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home from work and woah! My ammonia spiked pretty rapidly, 4ppm. Was only at 1ppm 24 hours ago. The shrimp I put in there is completely rotted/dissolved, im assuming that's why. But I'm hoping things don't go over 4ppm, stalling the cycle.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.36.04 PM.png

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a lot of reservations about not having a sump. I’m hoping to have a variety of corals, some inverts and clowns, and with all the research I’ve been doing the most important things seems to be that consistency is key.

My tank is only 11 gallons and parameters can change super quickly. I think I’ll be able to do consistent maintenance like water changes etc but what if I go on vacation?

I’m also hesitant about water changes and mixing salt water etc. It seems like it could potentially a lot of work rather than having a sump, refugium and ATO system.

Anyone with a sumpless nano have input?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back