OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure don't. I borrowed an extra one Jay had to try and keep everything running.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for some reason I couldn't get the Mag 18 to pump. I could hear the motor running.

So, I used a smaller pump to keep my pellets churning and moved my temp probe and heater into the DT until hopefully I can make it to the AC to buy another impeller. I've been meaning to buy one to have an extra for times like these but never did and that's my own fault. This maybe the extra push I need to upgrade my return pump anyways. Hope to have no ill effects on anything.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya, just when you think the tank is on cruise control something happens. Thankfully the up days make the down days worth it in reefing.

The pump was just making a little more noise than normal so I was doing an inspect/clean of the pump and accidentally dropped the ceramic impeller. Lets hope tomorrow is an up day. Thanks.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think I should keep the lights (maybe just the MH, keep the T5's on) off tomorrow to lessen the amount of evaporation?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think one day without a return pump will hurt much. Keep the pellets turning in the sump and keep your pumps on in your DT and you should be good just as long as you have some surface agitation to keep up with the gas exchange.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think one day without a return pump will hurt much. Keep the pellets turning in the sump and keep your pumps on in your DT and you should be good just as long as you have some surface agitation to keep up with the gas exchange.

I agree. You should be fine until you get a replacement impeller, and I wouldnt worry about keeping the lights off. You probably have more evap having the sump than not.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the replacement impeller today and got everything back running again. I did keep the lights off for the day, was considering a black out day to try and help rid a little bit of cyano, still evaped quite a bit. I diluted down my kalk mix a little while it was topping up to help slow any type of swing that may occur from the top off adding a few gallons straight kalk mix. Everything looked fine. Thanks for all the help, had a couple of MTRC members step up and help and it's much appreciated.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She wants the fish....

image_zpsf9bdfbc3.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back