110 to 235 DT upgrade advice.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm the next few months I will hopefully be upgrading my current system (110 wide) to a new display tank. I will be using my equipment I have now with the exception of the stand, hood and display.

My main concerns honestly are: 1.that I would have to do the transfer by myself and 2.I would "like" to do the transfer in one day. I am also greatly concerned after reading a lot of threads where most have lost a lot of their coral or fish in short order after the transfer. If anyone could give any hints or advice on this, that had upgraded, I would greatly appreciate it.

My ro/di puts out 5 gallons of water every half hour and my Finnex heating element is 800 watts. I am thinking that "hopefully" I could make up water the day or two before (like 120 gallons) in two brute trash cans with two smaller heaters, then remove everything from the main tank, drain it, try and move the tank(with old sand) and stand, get the new tank and stand in place, get the sand poured in, get the fuge in place, try and get the vortechs and a couple small heaters in the new display with enough water to get things moving and aerated (from the old display along with the new water) but not enough to get the overflow going, slide the sump under the stand and then plumb it with the new fittings, and turn the return pump on.

I'm thinking, I could get my old rock, corals and fish in the new display with the vortechs and heaters and everything should hopefully be ok while I do everything below. I'm hoping the first part will only take a few hours. My controller will still be probably all over the place, but it will be under control of the heaters and the vortechs.

I know it's going to be very hard moving things and if possible, I will try to find someone to help with the tank, but it's looking like I'm going to be on my own. I'm not a weak or small guy by any stretch and lol, for a short burst I think I can lift the new tank on the stand. I may need to buy suction cups for the glass, but I'm hoping to be able to do it. Either that or maybe the guy that's building my tank I may ask them to deliver it and just have the stand in place for delivery of that's even possible.

But any advice anyone can give, would be most appreciated... Thanks..

Sent from Note 2 on Tap 4

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual, I'm on my own. I'll figure it out as I always do. Lol, two things must be said for doing things completely solo:

For me, it always works out. And this is an example of why I don't ask anyone for advice..

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was only 4 hours between your first post and 2nd in the middle of the night so probably the reason for less response.

Everything you have planned out sounds good to me. Your going to need some help moving the new tank in for sure. You also could mix the salt in the new tank possibly?

Might be careful also of shocking your coral with that much new water just double check your parameters are close. Alk cal and mag.

Best of luck and don't get discouraged so easily.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with RR. Be patient.

I did an upgrade very similar to yours and my advice is to have a temporary tank( I used a 100g Rubbermaid trough) to house livestock for the transfer. It will inevitably take you longer than you hope to do the whole process. If you have an extra power head, heater, and possibly HOB skimmer your livestock will be just fine in the temp tank should you run into any unforeseen issues. I would use at least 20-25% of your existing tank water in the new tank and GET NEW SAND. The old sand will cause you problems I promise.

Good luck and hopefully you can get something from my suggestions.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trash cans and 5 gallon buckets for new water. A water pump with long hose to transfer old and new water. Its a lot easier if your not putting the new tank where the old one was. I'd clean the rocks of in old water before adding to new tank. I don't think I would use old sand, but if you must you must. O'h I"d use 30 to 50 gallons of old water to. Use some to hold fish in before transfer.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the feedback. I have decided to put the switch over on hold for a while.

CoralMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for info for later if you end up doing a transfer in one day just plan on using new sand save some of top layer of existing sand to seed your new sand. Good luck to when ever you do

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, it's going to get done more than likely. Usually when something makes sense to me, I do it. It's just exactly when.. Lol..

Thanks!

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it on hold for a little(though it's killing me to do so). But it will give me a little to grow out some off my frags. The last pictures I have is the stand as it sits waiting for the skin. I will be working on it gradually and update as I make progress with things.

5etusu6y.jpg

y5yvehaq.jpg

ahu5y7ur.jpg

8a6e7ygy.jpg

Note2 on Tap Pro

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back