Cycling rocks for an upgrade?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am buying my upgrade tank on WaterBox's blue Friday event and having a company build me a new scape for the upgrade as I don't love what I have in my current tank. My current tank has been running for just shy of two years and has about 65 lbs of rock total of which 10-15lbs is aquacultered KP rock which will be all that transfers over into my upgrade along with media that has been in the current tank from the jump. My plan is when I get my new dry rock scape in the mail (mid to end of November per the company) to put some of it in my current tank to start getting some bacteria colonizing on it for a smoother tank transfer. How long would y'all think it would be a good idea to wait until starting the transfer? My goal was beginning of the year but I am not sure if keeping the rocks in the tank for a month is long enough? What would y'all do?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think the more of the new rock you can fit into your current display, the better! The more colonized surfaces you can start the new tank with, the better. As far as timing, a month seems plenty to me for solid colonization of new rock in the presence of plenty of existing live rock.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the triple post - I'm actually doing the same thing right now, I am building a frag tank, so I put a load of new dry rock into my display and sump so when my new build is ready, I'l be able to drop it right into the new sump.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month is long enough.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have plenty of time… I wouldn’t think it takes long at all to colonize bacteria.. it may or not get a ugly stage depending what rock they use and if they acid washed it or not.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use your sump to house the new live rock as well if your display is tight for space
The sump is already filled to the brim with KP rock LOL I might have been overzealous with ensuring there was enough media. It was my first tank lol I figure if the DT looks ridiculously over crowded for a month or so it wont be a huge deal

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I just dont want to cause harm to any of the fish that will be moving over. I have 6 smallish fish currently in a 65 and the upgrade will be a little over 100g

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s really no need to stuff it all in early if you’re transferring everything anyways. The rock you currently have supports what is in there anyways unless you planned on stocking more right away. It won’t hurt either to have it in your current tank.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s really no need to stuff it all in early if you’re transferring everything anyways. The rock you currently have supports what is in there anyways unless you planned on stocking more right away. It won’t hurt either to have it in your current tank.
Only 15 lbs of my existing rocks and several bags of ceramic media will be transferring to the upgrade

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am buying my upgrade tank on WaterBox's blue Friday event and having a company build me a new scape for the upgrade as I don't love what I have in my current tank. My current tank has been running for just shy of two years and has about 65 lbs of rock total of which 10-15lbs is aquacultered KP rock which will be all that transfers over into my upgrade along with media that has been in the current tank from the jump. My plan is when I get my new dry rock scape in the mail (mid to end of November per the company) to put some of it in my current tank to start getting some bacteria colonizing on it for a smoother tank transfer. How long would y'all think it would be a good idea to wait until starting the transfer? My goal was beginning of the year but I am not sure if keeping the rocks in the tank for a month is long enough? What would y'all do?
I’m not sure if it’s necessary but I would like to mention that new dry rock may possibly mess with the pH and alkalinity when it first gets wet? I don’t know what you are getting so I’m just trying to throw some ideas at you before you add it to your tank, not after.
Wishing you a happy upgrade.
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if it’s necessary but I would like to mention that new dry rock may possibly mess with the pH and alkalinity when it first gets wet? I don’t know what you are getting so I’m just trying to throw some ideas at you before you add it to your tank, not after.
Wishing you a happy upgrade.
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
I'll keep an eye out for that, thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back