View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no see

Glad ur okay and still pushing people away from vortechs and vectras haha

Just kidding I know u love ur tunze products glad ur back

:confused: OK? Back? Huh?

Just realistic flow strategy....no pushing.

But you're right about there being a few pushy people around here – that just makes it important for us to keep the good information flowing. :)

Regardless of how much you like the mp40, it is a very low-velocity pump, so it has very little reach.
(see video below that illustrates the issue with examples)

Three Vortechs will rock a 72" tank OK and they work better running from the back wall IMO. There are some great example tanks out there like this. IIRC, @Diesel has one of them.

Using only two mp40's leaves dead zones. Depending on your plans, that's not the end of the world...but it stinks to find out about it after the fact if you hadn't accounted for it.

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you read my message or not but I am going FOWLR for a while. I knew going into it 2 mp40s is not enough if I want corals. I have no issue adding powerheads when that day comes, I actually have more but they arent in the tank atm.

:confused: OK? Back? Huh?

Just realistic flow strategy....no pushing.

But you're right about there being a few pushy people around here – that just makes it important for us to keep the good information flowing. :)

Regardless of how much you like the mp40, it is a very low-velocity pump, so it has very little reach.
(see video below that illustrates the issue with examples)

Three Vortechs will rock a 72" tank OK and they work better running from the back wall IMO. There are some great example tanks out there like this. IIRC, @Diesel has one of them.

Using only two mp40's leaves dead zones. Depending on your plans, that's not the end of the world...but it stinks to find out about it after the fact if you hadn't accounted for it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you read my message or not but I am going FOWLR for a while. I knew going into it 2 mp40s is not enough if I want corals. I have no issue adding powerheads when that day comes, I actually have more but they arent in the tank atm.

I did, and I figured that was a possibility. Of course, that possibility is why I originally asked if the current setup jived with your existing plans. Because it could. ;)

(Honestly is seemed a little like we might've had some of this discussion before in another thread in the past....LOL.)

Again, love the rock layout.

BTW, are you gonna rock the full-reef lighting shown or will you run a lower light schedule while you're in the FOWLR phase?

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I'm just going to run the radions at a low %

I did, and I figured that was a possibility. Of course, that possibility is why I originally asked if the current setup jived with your existing plans. Because it could. ;)

(Honestly is seemed a little like we might've had some of this discussion before in another thread in the past....LOL.)

Again, love the rock layout.

BTW, are you gonna rock the full-reef lighting shown or will you run a lower light schedule while you're in the FOWLR phase?

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold Lighting Maroon I got over the weekend.

3b8257ebb7d6f1509603ed0fccac649a.png

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expect some more updates coming. The tank had a hiccup a few weeks back. Had a bad GFI and it shut the power off to my tank. I lost a bunch of fish. It was about the worst timing for it, as things like this usually happen at the worst times. We just brought our baby home from the hospital and I didnt sleep for over 40 hours and when I finally got to sleep...I was out for a while. Anyway, since things settled down with the baby Ive been hard at getting my tank back up to speed. The other day I picked up a blue throat trigger, purple tang, and 2 yellow tangs. Things are going in the right direction and Im tossing up the idea of getting back into coral...but we shall see. Getting motivation back toward the aquarium is a good feeling.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... This is an awesome build!

I'm a big do it yourself-er. There is a lot of satisfaction that comes with it.

That being said, I look forward to the day when my build is done with all commercial parts and product.

Great Job!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back