12 gallon aquapod... back chamber setup???

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked up a 12 gallon aquapod and all the rear chambers were empty when i received it. i am trying to figure out what to do with the different back chambers ? i have 3 chambers and then the last chamber with the small pump in it (i believe the pump in there is rated for up to 160gal or something like that)

can someone give me a chamber by chamber setup and what you would use in each one? i know ive heard cheato etc. but wondering where to put everything. currently in the 1st chamber i have a big blue sponge for right now. and the second chamber is empty, and the third chamber has a smaller blue sponge topped with a few pieces of the filter material that has the carbon and phosban in it and then topped with the blue and white sponge piece.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance---

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in chamber one- Get some Chemi- Pure elite, Bagged purigen and filter floss(pillow stuffing)
Chamber two- cheato and a small light
chamber three- Pump and heater

DSC00839.jpg

Last edited:

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemi pure elite in mine (I changed to a 24 gal now).
I cut the sponge way down and used rubble in the first chamber with the sponge on top of it. I cleaned my sponge every water change with tank water. You don't want alot of sponge as it will trap detritis and make the nitrates go up more. You don't really need the sponge if you have enough live rock. Then I had the heater in the second chamber and the chemi-pure in the 3rd but the chemi pure bag kept getting stuck in the crack so first chamber would be better.

Nano newb has a good idea above.

I would also suggest getting a thin piece of acrylic/plexiglass to block all the slats so you get a waterfall effect. This will skim the surface water.
You can then slide it up or down to get the water level in the tank where you want it. The water level will go down in the back of the tank with evaporation and stay the same in the main tank.

Heres some picts of mine.

9ff8a1ef.jpg

Image004.jpg

66c6485f.jpg

kass

Last edited:

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kass, so you have the plexi-glass blocking the middle intake holes to create the Waterfall effect? i might try that

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you have to block all the holes even the bottom ones.

kass

pmoradi2002

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep i have a 28g aquaeurousa...its made differently than the jbj cubes with two return pumps and 2 grates in the intake. blocked it off with plexiglass now rollsface :D

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back