120 Gallon Acrylic and stand build

  • Thread starter Thread starter myboyblu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

myboyblu

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
39
Reaction score
22
Location
Auburndale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm this close to purchasing the acrylic to build this tank. I'm looking for input on a couple of topics.
1. The external overflow box I want to build. I want the water to flow out of the tank over the side.
uploadfromtaptalk1446824566921.jpg

Question is... how large of a notch do I need? I'm thinking 1" x 24". But I would like 1/2". Anyone know flow rate over a wier?
2. I'm 90-95% sure I can work acrylic, but I'm open to suggestions and hints. Thanks guys.
 
What are the tank dimensions? Standard glass 120s are around $300 - $400. You are going to double that and more building your own. It's a great idea if money is no object or your size is way different than the standard sized tanks.
 
Buffing out and sanding scratches is 1 thing but I think you could find a 125 cheaper. Like ReeferBob said acrylic isn't cheap, not even the thinner stuff.
 
It is standard size 48x24x24, but I want the overflow on the side. Penisula style. To get one built it's over $700 with starphire glass. I can get the acrylic for just under 400 in orlando. I figure I'm about to drop $2000 in total with leds and all. Building it myself is where I can save the best.... I think lol
 
I would sell you a 120 glass peninsula tank stand and canopy for less. Be a long drive though.
 
I could see family. I just drove through Nashville a month ago
 
Would you consider a coast to coast internal overflow box? Then you could use a standard 120 glass tank.
 
No, I'd rather build build what I want. I don't want to see anything other the reef
 
I'm at work now, but I will update with more pics when i get off. I built a new sump too.
 
that center overflow looks very unique. Like others, I would like to see more of it. :)
 
Sorry guys, kids demanded attention last night when I got off. The over flow extends the full 24" of the back. I cut the back short by 1" and beveled the edge so the water silently cascades over the edge in to the overflow. I have (3) 1.5" pipes to route the dirty water to the sump, and (2) 1" pipes used for returns.
I have 2 separate return pumps that I salvaged from my tank that did not withstand the stresses of moving.
I also have 2 vectra M1 pumps used for a closed loop system. I can wait to put some LPS in to watch the flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new